Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

single stitch

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
nintandrew
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

single stitch

Post by nintandrew »

Hello, this question has been bothering me for a long time. What techniques (<- correct spelling?) do people use to stitch a single stitch of one color when there are not any stitches of the same color close to the single stitch?
If you can understand that and respond, thanks. :cool:
Eyup

Mak327
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Re: single stitch

Post by Mak327 »

i get what you're saying. I usually us the loop knot instead of running it under to start, stitch the one stitch and then run it under some other threads to end it.

Nitewing
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Nitewing »

I don't even use knots. I just use the other stitches I've made to anchor it to start and then I loop the stitch I'm making across the thread at the end of my needle.

I took some pics to demonstrate cause I'm not sure I said it right.

Ok, so here's the back of your project. We're starting a new colour. See how I'm holding the back of the excess thread?
DSC00076.jpg
DSC00076.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
Now we make our first stitch and come back OVER the excess thread and stitch in the diagonal hole you normally would for the first half of your X
DSC00077.jpg
DSC00077.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Then you just finish your stitch and it holds itself in place.
DSC00078.jpg
DSC00078.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
If you need to do a line, you can just keep stitching the thread down with your stitches in the back. This works well for just one stitch though too.
DSC00079.jpg
DSC00079.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 4487 times
I took these pictures over my keyboard (Microsoft Reculsa) which is why there's led blue showing through for anyone wondering lol :)

Anyway, hope that helped.

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

That is exactly how I do it! :D I don't use knots. This way is much tidier and the knots don't show through like they did on my earlier projects before I found this method!!
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

Mak327
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Mak327 »

That's how I do it usually and if I have other stitches around, but if it is the only stitch that is going in that area, it is harder to do, which I believe was the original question.

Since I stitch with 2 threads usually, if I have to do one by itself somewhere, I use one thread and run both "ends" through the needle, leaving the loop on one end. I come up through and then when I go back down, I put the needle through the loop that was left as the remainder, pull it tight now, then come up, finish the stitch and run the second end through where I just stitched. That's only if I have only 1 stitch somewhere though.

nintandrew
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by nintandrew »

Wow, thanks for all of the responses. These are all really useful, thanks.
Eyup

Loora
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Loora »

Even if it's not for a single or a few stitches, you should never use knots at the back of your stitches. It's making bumps when you frame your work, and if you use Aida, you can't make a big enough knot to be sure that it won't come through the aida hole.

If I have a single stitch that'll be surrounded by others later on, I just leave enough loose thread to block it later under the stitches I'll make. You don't have to block your thread right away, just leave enough thread to block it under the other stitches' backs.

If it's a single stitch that'll stay alone, I use the one and only loop at the back of my work to block my threads, and I let about 5 cm to prevent it from moving. I only cut the threads right before framing. I once used some fusing fabric (like the one used in quilting) to maintain the back of my stitches in place.

Good luck understanding my frenchglish... and sorry about that.

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

I had no problems understanding your frenchglish Loora. Your English is perfect. :D I wouldn't mind some fusing fabric for some of my work, but I can never find any.
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

DMLC
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by DMLC »

You should be able to find fusing web at any sewing related store!!:)

riotpatch
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by riotpatch »

I do something similar to what Nitewing posted but I always have either vertical or horzinal lines in the back (not diagonal.)
I think I am OCD and I need to see ||||| to be satisfied.
This works perfectly for a single stitch as when you come back up through the fabric the first time, the loose end is already tied down.
Reinforce it with other colour stitches and there should be no problems to be had.