Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Preferred way to iron perlers?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Kevin18875
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Preferred way to iron perlers?

Post by Kevin18875 »

Ok, that's good to know. Now I just need to know if I can unwarp 2 of my boards by ironing them on a flat surface.

Also, is ironing on wood a good idea?

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

I iron on wood. I had the same squishy ironing board issues others have had, so I now put something similar to a wooden cutting board on top of my ironing board - mostly because I'm quite attached to my kitchen table and counter tops. :D The wood provides a nice solid surface, and I really like how it's working out so far.

I iron both sides - fully on the back and lightly on the front. Like others' have said, I just iron the front to help the end product hold together a little better. The trick I find works the best is to pull it off the pegboard and set it on the wood as soon as I'm done ironing the back. This helps with the warping and prevents any accidental melting of the boards. After ironing, I sandwich the works between some heavy textbooks until they are cool to make sure they stay nice and flat (or a cookie sheet and some books depending on the size). The biggest challenge for me was finding the right setting for my iron. It went very quickly from not melting the beads at all to liquifying them instantly.

I've tried the flat iron thing but was never very good at it, and didn't like the look of the end product as well as I liked the lightly ironed look. But it's all personal preference.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Yep; I also struggled to find the right iron temp. When I found it, I drew a mark across the dial so I can always find it again!