Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

The Basics

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
marco25yo
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

The Basics

Post by marco25yo »

Hi, i'm new to this site and after seeing everyone's awesome creations I would really like to start stitching on my own because it looks like a really cool art form!

The problem is i don't know how ... so if anyone could tell me the basics of stitching and how to get started would be greatly appreciated. :D

deborah
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: The Basics

Post by deborah »

If you are going to do cross stitch. I suggest pick a pattern you want to do make. It has the list of colors on chart and symbols that go with pattern. You use symbols to tell what color you use to put on pattern. You can go to a craft store like for example Micheal's, Hobby Lobby or some craft store you have near you to get thread. I use mostly dmc thread. I get Aida cloth to put pattern on. you make x's on material and follw the chart to tell what color to use for symbol on pattern. You are transfering pattern to material. The aida cloth has different numbers on it. The bigger the number the smaller the hole on material. You put thread through holes on material and tie a knot at end of thread to keep the thread in material. I use 14 count aida cloth for my patterns. I would start with a small pattern. You should see what size the pattern will be on material and get bigger size material that is bigger than size of pattern.

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

I don't put a knot on the end, it will show through as a little lump. You can generally stitch it in the back with the next stitches. I would start off with a little pattern, say mario. You don't have to use the exact colours then, being your first piece. Practice generally makes perfect. The most commonly used aida type is 14 count and most people use DMC threads but I use Anchor (just cause I got a load as a starter). I did a lot of little pieces when I started and I've gradually built up the size when I've grown more confident. I also didn't know what I was doing when I started and made a lot of mistakes. I learnt as I went. You could probably get a good how to on You Tube. I found a good video on there when I was learning crochet not so lot ago and I'm pretty good at that now. I still make mistakes but I've only been doing it a month or so. Give it a go and you'll be addicted in no time at all!! :grin:
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Teaching a friend the other day on how to cross stitch, I realized it is a lot harder then just saying make x's on the material. You have to be shown how to make the X's and in which direction, and how to knot the thread, etc. Here is a good tutorial that you can use:

http://home.comcast.net/~kathydyer/nf_xstitch_tut.html

I would also check at your local craft store. It is a lot easier to learn a craft if someone shows you in person. Tell the store you are interested in learning and if there is any classes or anyone there that can show you.

odber
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by odber »

I would like to start making my own cross-stiches but there's one thing i'm curious: What is the advantage of having a program to give you patterns? As far as I have understood it's all about making x's. So all I need to have is a grid picture of the sprite to get started?

johloh
Site Admin

Post by johloh »

odber wrote:I would like to start making my own cross-stiches but there's one thing i'm curious: What is the advantage of having a program to give you patterns? As far as I have understood it's all about making x's. So all I need to have is a grid picture of the sprite to get started?
the pattern program helps you pick which color of thread (floss) to buy. but, if its simple enough that you can choose your own colors, then all you need is a grid!
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

The animated instructions posted on Subversive Cross Stitch might be of use:

http://subversivecrossstitch.com/howto/anim.html

Also, these tutorials look like they might be nice too.

http://subversivecrossstitch.com/howto/primrose.htm
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

Nitewing
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Nitewing »

I'm pretty new with this whole process. I've done a few small cross stitch kits that come with everything so I haven't had to think much. I'm not really sure what the Aida count means, I know you had said that the larger the number the smaller the hole for the needle, but does that affect the overall size of the pattern? Or does that just mean you have to use a smaller number of floss strands?

Thanks in advance.

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

The count means how many there are to the inch. 14 count is 14 wholes per inch. Hope that helps.
The larger the number the more there are to the inch so the wholes will get smaller. The pattern you stitch will differ in size depending on what count size aida you stitch it on. When your new to stitching most use 14 count Aida. Its the one mostly sold in shops. Its also easier to see. You can get 11 count aida too but that's mainly used with kids.
You can get good prices if you shop around online. Sorry if I rambled a bit.
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

Nitewing
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Nitewing »

No problem at all. Thanks for the info. That helps me a lot.