Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Pattern Makers

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Pattern Makers

Post by benjibot »

Well, there's a Linux stitch app called KXStitch.

I've run the demo version of PCStitch (but not Pro) and KGChart in Wine on OS X (specifically in Crossover Mac). They seem to work okay. I can't speak for the entirety of the features of PCStitch because I didn't bother paying for it. It worked just fine to get the colors for a small project. I think it might let you save? I could be wrong. No printing for sure. Seems to work in both Win98 and WinXP bottles.

When I tried to run PCStitch Pro it refused to run. I think it went through the install process, but it wouldn't start running at all.

I used KGChart to open some of Servotron's patterns and haven't seen it crash yet. Pretty sure I put it in WinXP bottle but I don't remember offhand and my notebook isn't handy.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

Mak327
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Mak327 »

I use PC Stitch 7 and I LOOOVE it!!! The file size is nice for saving too. Plus you can print color or black and white or whatever. I don't have a color printer at the house only the office, so I like the versatility

Awenmir
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Awenmir »

I use PM Stitch Creator. It's quite a good programme but I've heard good things about the Hobbyware pattern maker would anyone on here reccomend buying it?

DMLC
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by DMLC »

I would recommend Pattern Maker by Hobbyware!! :) But you know that already!! Plans to buy the new professional one sometime very soon.- I need an upgrade!
I totally love mine and never had any problems with it. They do have excellent customer support-- when I got my very first copy I was having problems loading it in--They just sent me a new copy-- with no questions. They are constantly do new download upgrades -- to new DMC colours.
:)

Nitewing
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Nitewing »

Is it really worth paying the money to get PC Stitch or some other professionally made program? Are they that much better then KG-Chart?

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

You get what you pay for, as the saying goes and I feel its quite true to. I've got pc stitch and kg chart and I totally prefer pc stitch. :D
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

KND
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by KND »

Using Linux has posed some unique challenges when it comes to software I'm familiar with on a Windows box. I guess open source still holds a stigma with me because I didn't hold out much hope in finding cross stitch software, let alone one that worked. I found kxstitch though and have to say I am very pleased with it. Very easy to substitute colors, pose a thread limit, etc. You can have patterns save as a pdf and it creates a very nice cover page, thread list, and instructions.

Danlucraft, I wouldn't bother with Wine in this case. Wine can be buggy and I wouldn't want to buy software just to have it not work. And not to advocate piracy but even if I did it would be a moot point. This type of software is such a niche market I doubt you could pirate a copy.