Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Framing?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Blink190
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Framing?

Post by Blink190 »

corbin wrote:I know most michaels won't carry stitchery tape joann's might I haven't thought to look while I was there. If you can't find it it is basically just fancy ATG which every frame shop has or most scrap book departments should carry some form of it. I also forgot but if you have a Michaels that hasn't been remodeled they have self stick board in the yarn sections that you just lay the piece over and apply pressure.
I've never heard of Joann's, so I don't think there's one nearby me. Would an AC Moore have it?

corbin
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by corbin »

I'm not sure I've never been to one, there's only a Joann's and Michaels near where I live.
A Stitch is Worth... How much is a stitch worth?

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

They're all fairly similar stores, just regional chains. AC Moore should stock something like that.

I get these mounting boards when I can find them. I find them at Michael's. I just noticed my Joann's stocks something similar. It can be a hassle to get it straight, but the board allows you to remove and reapply a fair number of times before it gets used up. Don't bother getting the smaller boards, you can get the biggest one for only a few dollars more and cut plenty of boards out of it. This is substantially easier if you have a rotary cutter.

Though, if you can find that tape it might be an even more cost effective method. I'm going to look for it.

What I've done lately if I have an odd shaped finished work is mat it with the closest sized mat I can find and then buy a larger frame in a standard size. On on occasion I cut the sides off the mat, turning a 9 x 14 into an 8 x 10 (or something like that). It came out all right (ZOMG NSFW!!!!1).

I also had a mat custom cut at a local shop. It ran me about $13, which is a lot less than a mat cutter and with significantly less chance of slicing a finger open.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

Blink190
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Blink190 »

Now I'm completely unknowledgable when it comes to just about anything stitching related (except just making the basics), so matting is something I'm entirely unfamiliar with. >.<

Can I get an explanation? >.>

corbin
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by corbin »

matting is basically a border to go around the artwork then into the frame, it is made of layers of paper compressed to make a board about as thick as cardboard but nice and smooth and you can get just about any color or texture you could want. Some frames will come with them in it others won't a lot of stores sell just the pre-cut mats to fit most regular sizes and most will sell uncut sheets of mat board to do it yourself with a mat cutter. Generally if you will only need special mats cut once in awhile having a shop do it can save you some money and frustration rather then buying a mat cutter. Custom mats are a lot cheaper then custom frames and can help you get it into a frame off the shelf. Hope that helps.
A Stitch is Worth... How much is a stitch worth?

Blink190
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Blink190 »

Yeah, it does, thank you very much : )

I think I'm gonna look for the tape first, as it seems to be the cheaper option, but if I can't find that, I think I might try to teach myself to mat.

Thanks everyone for your help : )

earth_element
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by earth_element »

Self stick mounting boards are easiest to use when you're framing your own pieces. And they come in variety of sizes (walmart also carries them) you can always use an blade to trim them shorter if required. Though this is a bit of a hassle.