Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Felting

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
superlaurasunshine
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Felting

Post by superlaurasunshine »

Can anybody tell me how to needle felt? There were some amazing needle felt creations posted on the sprite stitch blog a couple of days ago I'd love to give it a try! :Luigi

Loora
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: Felting

Post by Loora »

No felt lovers on this forum ?

If it's not too late, here are the basics: for 3D felting, you need a apecial felting needle you can buy in craft stores. You can recognize its little hook at the pointy end (nothing to do with crochet needles though). It doesn't look very sturdy (and it isn't, buy several at once !). Then you need the felt itself, also sold in craftstores, and a foam mat.

Felting feels a lot like sculpting. If you wish to make a ball, you place the right amount of yarn on the mat, and sitck the needle in the yarn, all the way to the mat. The needle forces the threads to mix more and more, and that way, you can sculpt it. The more sturdy and precise you want your piece, the more you'll use the needle.

If you want to felt 2D (for instance, on a scarf), you'll need a support made of yarn or something similar. You place the support on the mat, then place your felting yarn on top of it, and use your needle. When the needle gets through the support, it'll take with it some of the felting threads, and that way, attach the felted design and the support. No need for ulterior sewing !

It's really intuitive. Just try it !

jelibe
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by jelibe »

That felting yarn has no chance does it! Sounds like a massacre :grin: :D I've got a friend in the states that does this and she really enjoys it. Have fun :D
Image http://jelibe-spritegirl.blogspot.com/ Visit my little crafty blog!!

Loora
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Loora »

Well, leaving aside my faulty english, let's say that felting is strongly recommended in case of a bad day... :club: :club:

Stitching is for quiet people :P