Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Pulling Out Stitches

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Pulling Out Stitches

Post by SheWhoRoars »

So far stitching on high count fabric has been pretty good, because I think it looks pretty amazing, but does anyone have tips for taking the thread out when you mess it up? My backs always end up a bit messy, or I just can't freaking get more than maaaaaybe one to come out at a time. And it's really discouraging when you have a block that you did in the wrong color and it takes you twice as long to pull it out as it did to get it in.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Pulling Out Stitches

Post by blackmageheart »

I've found that railroading where possible helps when it comes to having to remove the stitches, but other than that there's not much I've found that helps, except maybe just being patient and TRYING (I really try lol) not to get annoyed with it!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

SheWhoRoars
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by SheWhoRoars »

Lol that's so much harder done than said XD Nothing can make a stitcher rage quit more haha but thank you

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I don't know if it will help, but one of the things I do is only do half stitches until I have a block done so I can check that I've done it right. Then I do the full crosses after that. It means I'm usually only unpicking half stitches which come out a lot easier.

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

I find it easier to pull out from the front than the back. Poke your needle under the most recent half stitch then pull up. Also if you are getting frustrated and don't mind sacrificing some thread you can always cut it every now and then as you will have less to pull through and it will go faster.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

tiiiiii_85
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by tiiiiii_85 »

I quote Eliste. Normally I halfstitch one block double check what I have done and if it fits with what's coming next and then I go on. For the last projects, where the color count was very low (one had only 3 colors) I actually halfstitched one full page before going back.
I am a self learner who started stitching in high school. After years of break I am finally back to cross stitching, thanks to this forum!
Going on projects:
- Wedding birds (framing phase)
- still undecided