Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Transfer pen question?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Transfer pen question?

Post by Jennuh »

Has anyone used the DMC Embroidery Transfer Pen for their cross stitch stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TC ... ge_o01_s00

This is the pen in question. I used it one one of my projects to mark my white Aida as I worked on it. It says on the back that if I dab it with a wet cold cloth the color will disappear from the Aida... well I made a mistake marking and when I went to do just that the Aida stood a pale blue and it even colored some of my already stitched threads.. Anyone else have this issue? Should it go away once I completely submerge it? It was really nice to use this pen to help me with my counting on my projects and I'm sad if it won't come out because I'll have to rip out a lot of threads that got colored but if submerging it will work then I'll keep using it..

I can attach an image of the project if needed to see what I'm experiencing with it.
Image Image Image

Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Transfer pen question?

Post by Jennuh »

Welp... nevermind! Washed one of my other finished pieces and used the pen in a corner to see if it'd come out and it did! So.. I no longer fear it not coming out of my current piece. :)
Image Image Image

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Haha, I was going to reply that it'll come out in the wash, but I see you've already discovered that! :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Some pens don't come out, even when they state they will. DMC is a good one to have, there's a generic one I use I can't recall the name of.

But the best way to tell if it washes out ok, is to do it! Mark a scrap of aida. Then wash and see what happens.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Jennuh »

QueenBex wrote:Some pens don't come out, even when they state they will. DMC is a good one to have, there's a generic one I use I can't recall the name of.

But the best way to tell if it washes out ok, is to do it! Mark a scrap of aida. Then wash and see what happens.
It's funny because I did test the pen on a scrap of aida and it washed out.. but when I applied it to my actual project I got a lot more nervous about it actually coming out haha.
Image Image Image

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Jennuh wrote: It's funny because I did test the pen on a scrap of aida and it washed out.. but when I applied it to my actual project I got a lot more nervous about it actually coming out haha.
The difficulty is less that they come out when you wash, but that they come back or over time their residue discolours. Most will wash out. Not all don't cause problems down the line...