Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Washing guide?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
imaginaryanna
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Washing guide?

Post by imaginaryanna »

I'm so happy to see so many informative guides! Reading through them, I feel like I have already learned so much more than I knew before!

There is one gap that I have found, however.... washing. How does one properly wash a project?

I had the unfortunate experience of attempting to wash some candy cane ornaments one year.... my nice white stripes turned marbly pink.... I haven't attempted it since, but I was probably doing something terribly wrong!

Does anyone have a great method for washing to recommend?

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Washing guide?

Post by Batboard »

I use water and a few drops, literally like 3 or 4 , of dawn dish soap. I use my casserole dish, clean of course, but you can use anything to just submerge the work in it. Let it sit for a while, I pick it up and let the water run out of the fabric and put it back in for a while longer. And really that's all I do. Just wash your hands when you do anything to decrease the amount of oils you get on it. I know there is a thread about washing and all that in the techniques/guides section of the forum.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Cold water, a few drops of dishwashing liquid. It's more soak, than wash.

http://withoutastitchon.blogspot.ie/201 ... son-1.html

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

My family usually uses a cold water soak with a little Woolite, then we wrap it up in a towel to help squeeze the water up. Then we either put in on a different towel, a drying rack, or hang it up on one of those skirt/pants hangers with the clips so it can dry.
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

La Mer
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by La Mer »

This was very helpful. Thank you for sharing.