Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Filling in colors messes up previous stitches

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
megatonabomb
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Filling in colors messes up previous stitches

Post by megatonabomb »

So an ongoing problem for me, especially on this particular project I'm working on, is that my x's get messed up when filling in another color. I usually stitch with a size 34 or 36 needle I think, on 14-ct aida with two strands of floss, but this time around I am stitching with glow-in-the-dark kreinik fine #8 braid which needs a size 22 or 24 needle (I went with 24). With the smaller needle, I can usually maneuver the stitches well enough that it isn't very noticeable, but this thick glow thread has been a nightmare (I definitely should've gotten a thinner size...). It's a bit like stitching with waxed dental floss.

Pic of my usual (very worn, needing to be replaced) needle next to what I'm working with this time around just for reference
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG (102.95 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
I always do the outline or main color first, in this case black. I have found that when filling in other colors, the blue glow thread in this example, my black stitches get misshapen and separated. The blue stitches look kind of crazy I know, but at least they look cool in the dark lol. The texture doesn't like laying flat...
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG (53.14 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
Does anyone know how to prevent this other than starting with the inner color and working outward?

carand88
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Filling in colors messes up previous stitches

Post by carand88 »

are you using one or two strands of the glow in the dark? if you're using two, i would just go with one strand of the glow and maybe a similar color of a regular dmc/anchor floss, depending on your preference. if just one, then just make sure they're tauntly pulled through the hole. if this doesn't help, then i'm at a loss.

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

As a preface, I have never worked with nor felt glow in the dark floss, so this is really just a guesstimate from your description and picture. It could be that because it's sort of rubber-ish material, it's pulling at the floss around it that's already "anchored". Sort of like a rubber band would against anything else fabric or yarn-esque. I would try what carand suggested and if you are using 1 strand, maybe do the glow in the dark first then the regular floss so that you don't get the pull/tug of the crosses.
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

megatonabomb
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by megatonabomb »

I am only using one strand. I'm trying to pull it taut without stretching the hole, but I'm kind of at a loss as well.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

From the way the picture looks, you might want to try using a half-cross stitch instead of the full cross. The glow in the dark floss might lay down flatter without the extra layer as well as not pulling the other stitches so much. I will say that I have never used glow in the dark floss, so I'm just going by the pictures you posted.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

megatonabomb
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by megatonabomb »

Well here is a pic of the whole thing. If it's not too noticeable, then I'm not going to worry about it this time around, and I'll try something else like half stitches if I ever use it again. I don't feel like taking 500 stitches out lol.

So does this look ok? It's quite big... 228 x 178 on 14 count aida :swoon:
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (493.98 KiB) Viewed 5651 times

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

That's awesome! I'm sure it looks really cool in the dark. I can't tell from the picture that it's pulling the threads next to it. I didn't know that you were that far in from the first picture. I think it's just like anything else, when you're the one doing it and are constantly seeing it up close, you see every single imperfection.

I think it looks fantastic! :)
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage