Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Chinese floss quality

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
jocy666
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Chinese floss quality

Post by jocy666 »

Yesterday I discovered Aliexpress, a chinese version of Amazon, and found a lot of chinese things really, really cheap, to the point that prices are ridiculous compared as local stores.

Between all of these wonders, there is a lot of "similar DMC" floss, but I dont know about quality, so has anybody used chinese floss on any project? Is a good thread? I'm tempted to buy, but I don't want to risk.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Chinese floss quality

Post by Eliste »

I haven't bought from there necessarily, but I know a lot of floss out there that is not DMC/Anchor or one of the other recognised brands just isn't the same. I tried using a different brand on a project this summer, but it was wiry, furry, and would not lie flat. If you really wanna try it, I'd get maybe a couple of colors and try them out, but don't commit to a big spend. If you're just using it for cross stitching, it might work, but other embroidery I wouldn't risk it. Quality thread really makes a difference in the final outcome of projects.

jocy666
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by jocy666 »

That is precisely what worries me, anyway I'll use it for cross stitch, but I'm afraid that final result in't as expected. The problem is that they wholesale, so I have to order a big quantity to do business.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

jocy666 wrote:That is precisely what worries me, anyway I'll use it for cross stitch, but I'm afraid that final result in't as expected. The problem is that they wholesale, so I have to order a big quantity to do business.
I wouldn't do it if you have to buy wholesale unless you can contact them and ask for a sample first. If they're a legitimate business, that should be workable. Or even just a color sample pack.

jocy666
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by jocy666 »

That's a good idea, I'll ask for a sample. Hope this works =P

Thank you!

tiiiiii_85
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by tiiiiii_85 »

I did buy some threads from a Chinese shop, not from the website you linked, but from ebay. I was starting my cross stitching addictions after years and years of break and I needed to get everything again, so I decided to buy a set of 50 different colors for only 3,79 euro!! I won't buy them again! :nea:
The treads are not bad, but at the same time they are not like DMC or Anchor. The colors are the same, but the quality is lower.I use these Chinese colors for tiny things that don't require a lot precision or nice quality. For example I made some basic mushrooms or question marks from Super Mario and turned them into magnets using these colors, but for a Snoopy pillow for my sister I bought real DMC colors, still from ebay, but this time UK.
I am a self learner who started stitching in high school. After years of break I am finally back to cross stitching, thanks to this forum!
Going on projects:
- Wedding birds (framing phase)
- still undecided