Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

How do you organize and store your floss?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
BritRo
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

How do you organize and store your floss?

Post by BritRo »

I'm curious, how do you guys organize and store your floss?

I'm sitting here looking at my two unorganized(not at all in numerical order) containers and I'm thinking about sitting down today and actually organizing them.
They're all already wrapped on numbered plastic spools, but I think I might take them out and put them in baseball card sleeve inserts and put them in a binder.

What does everyone else do?
"You shouldn't have done that..."

Hellfire
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: How do you organize and store your floss?

Post by Hellfire »

I have mine all on stitch bows. Then the stitch bows in plastic stitch bow holders. Up to 600 in one folder, 600 to the 3000 in a second, the pn the rest in a third folder. All in number order so they are easy to find.

If I am using some for a project I take the relevant colours needed and put them in spare plastic holders so I have them on hand. Saves having to go through all the folders each time I need a different colour for what I'm doing.
WIP: Epic Pokemon generation III page 6of 30
Disney Princesses: page 2 of far to many. Lol.
SAL sampler
Disney birth sampler.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I have a two-tiered storage system. I keep skeins together in ziploc bags by initial digit (e.g. I have a bag for my 100 - 200s, a bag for 300s, etc.). I only bobbin them when I first use them for a project. After they're bobbined, I keep them in a sectioned plastic case, the kind used for keeping beads separate. When I need a color, I first check the bobbins. If it's not there, I know I have to dig through the ziploc bag.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

I have mine on numbered plastic spools which I keep in numerical order in divided plastic containers. I have a list I printed off that I keep track of how many skeins of each color I have so I'll know in advance of a project if I have all of and enough of the colors needed.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Badly, lol.

A few years back I got a box with separators and bobbins to wind the threads on, so I've a bunch in there. Then I realized that winding the bobbins resulted in some wonky looking stitches whenever I'm doing satin stitch, so I started just keeping full skeins in a box. Now they're all over the place- in baggies, in the box, in the other box. The ones easiest to find are the ones that are in specific project bags/boxes. I've a load of 'fake book' boxes that I use for projects, and they're almost the perfect size for skeins of thread. Each book is for a different project. I really want a dedicated filing system, but have neither the money nor the space for it right now.

Shazbang
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Shazbang »

I have mine on bobbins in numerical order in plastic desk drawers. They can get squished and pop out though.
I actually really like your idea of binders with card inserts as I already have binders like that full of Pokemon cards lol and it would be much neater!
I haven't picked up a project since being pregnant so I might give this a go before I start stiching again!
http://reeree6924.deviantart.com/

Current Projects:
- Dimensions Tiger Kit
- Disney Dreams Beauty and the Beast 5x7 kit (Up to the back stitching and french knots. Yuck.)
- Assorted small magnets to invade my fridge with

yessamaca
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by yessamaca »

Mine are all over the place. I have some for a project I'm working on in one of those binder inserts. I have the rest in various plastic bags. I kind of have a bag per project and then a bunch of other bags with floss that's waiting for a project. Those just stay in the bag I got from the store. Then sometimes I forget which bag is which and have to dig through them to try to match them to a project.

While I'm working on a project, I just keep the floss in a plastic bag. I'm trying something new with my latest started project and that's a sandwich baggie. Not the ziplock kind, though. I just dig through until I find the color I want, pull out 3 lengths from the paper bands, and snip it off. It only gets to be a problem when I've used almost all of a color and then the paper starts to fall off but then I just slide the paper to the middle and tie the ends of the floss in a loose knot to hold the paper on. All because I'm too lazy to wind it on bobbins. I also find that there are fewer bends in the floss this way, but that might just be because I get all obsessive when winding and have to wind as tight as possible.

So when I'm trying to kit a project I go through half a dozen bags to try to find colors. The thrill of the chase adds something, I think.

Crystal Rose
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Crystal Rose »

I wind my floss onto floss bobbins (the cardboard ones), which I label with pencil. I then put each colour into a snap-lock bag, the snack sized ones, with a white window on it, which I label with pen. This allows me to keep the scraps from the thread in the bag, thus reducing wastage :D
I keep each lot of snack sized bags in a sandwich sized bag, separating them by first number, e,g, 100, 200, 300 etc. Then, the sandwich sized bags are kept in a large snap lock bag based on below 1000 or in the 3000s, it works with the DMC numbering system.
Extra skeins I keep in sandwich bags ordered by the hundreds, then the sandwich bags in large snap lock bags, as above.
It's a bit of work, but I find it works really well. With each project I'll usually have it in a pencil case of some kind and can have all the bags in there, with the label on the bag making it easy to find the right one. The bag also allows me to keep me to keep any short bits of thread left and to cut a length of thread and keep this in the bag, rather than cutting a length from each strand as I need it, if that makes sense :grin:
CrystalRoseK on Devianart.

GotherellaBioVenom
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by GotherellaBioVenom »

I wind the skeins onto cardboard bobbins, write the number on the top and then file them into plastic storage boxes in numerical order :)

Like this :)
I have 4 of these so far
DSC_7111.jpg
DSC_7111.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 9358 times
Current projects: Fall of Arthas, Almost Time (Tilton), Raven Kin Mini HAED
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GothieBlogs/featured
Blog: http://gothie-blogs.blogspot.com.au/

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Lalina »

I use plastic storage boxes (a bit like a crafty tackle box) and organize them by like colours. Each little section is organize from lightest to darkest if the floss is wound on a bobbin. Most of the time, I just squish the skeins into their little section. I don't usually use bobbins unless I have leftover string from separating floss for a project.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)