Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Filling in boxes?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Filling in boxes?

Post by RMDC »

When I print patterns, I print them in B&W and sometimes take a highlighter to the squares I do. However, I rarely print patterns now. I mostly use my Nook HD+ to view them in PDF. I don't annotate the PDF to show what I've done or anything. Nowadays what I do is grid out the aida with washable blue embroidery marker. It doesn't prevent mistakes 100%, but it does give me a handle on where I am. It also helps me keep from marking up kit patterns.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I don't mark up patterns as I'm working on them. I find that marking patterns can be distracting for me...I recently finished a pattern that my mom had started and she marked things out with a pencil, so not only did I have the distraction, but also a slight glare from the pencil lead, which wasn't always the best for my head.
I have one of those boards with the magnetic strips...one long and two short. I use them to block off the area that I'm currently working on, so it's easier to keep track of where I'm at.

As for black and white vs. color patterns...I prefer color whenever possible, especially since I tend to like big patterns :P
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

I use black and white patterns to save on the colored ink, and I highlight what I've done with a marker so I can see what I've already done and as some others have said, it helps me see how much more there is to go, as well as keeps me from doing the same part over again.

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

Thanks so much for your guys' input. It's nice to have somewhere I can go to collaborate on different techniques on things. I may have to try marking off stitches on patterns on the next project I do. I would do it on the couple I've started, but I'm afraid that I'd screw it up and mark the wrong ones. Then it'd be all kinds of trouble!
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage