What count is my material

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
lauram340
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

What count is my material

Post by lauram340 »

Hi
I bought some materal a while ago and I haven forgotten the count! I know, daft of me!

How do I go about finding out what it is?
I have also got a pattern that is designed on 16 count, but I would like to do it on 18 count as I prefer that count. Do I take the number of stitches and divide by 18 to find the size?

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: What count is my material

Post by Eliste »

Count is how many blocks/threads are in 1 inch of fabric. So if you take a ruler and find one inch, just count the number of threads are within that inch. If there are 14 threads, its 14-count, etc. Make sure you measure from the outside of a thread, so the end of the ruler should line up with a hole.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: What count is my material

Post by Kareesh »

Eliste wrote:Count is how many blocks/threads are in 1 inch of fabric. So if you take a ruler and find one inch, just count the number of threads are within that inch. If there are 14 threads, its 14-count, etc. Make sure you measure from the outside of a thread, so the end of the ruler should line up with a hole.
Oh my goodness, how did I not know this? Well, I kinda knew it, though I normally counted the holes and I always came up with like 15 so I never knew if it was 14 or 16. Yay! I learned something today!
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign