Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Quilting Woes

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Quilting Woes

Post by Lalina »

I am currently trying to make a quilt but I do not have the floor space to spread it out completely on the floor (I am a student). Any tips on how I could baste my quilt sandwich? Right now I am thinking about buying curved safety pins and trying to isolate a few sections at a time but I worry that it will be uneven and that the pins won't be secure enough. I am new to quilting and am open to suggestions. Worst case senario will have me going to a public place with adequate space and using its floor.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Quilting Woes

Post by funkymonkey »

I don't have a ton of quilting experience, but I would say there's no substitute to laying it all out flat. I'd find a corner of a library or other open room to do the deed.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

I agree. I've only done a few small ones but I still would find an area with a big enough floor space to do the sandwiching. Does your university offer a textiles degree? If so, there should be a room or two where they do all of their sewing in which should be big enough I think.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

There is a technique to do a section at a time on a large table, but I do not advise this. In order to make sure you don't have any puckers you will need to make sure the entire backing is laid flat and taped down so it does not move. If you don't have room where you live, then you would need to find someplace else.

A lot of public libraries have a room for public use. Call them and tell them what you need and they will probably let you use it.

Lalina
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Lalina »

I wanted to say thank you for the feedback! Basically two things have happened: a) I am not going to make another quilt of this size and b) I will end up using some public space in a week or two when it is free (there is currently a mini fair going on). I found the table technique to sound pretty interesting and I am going to try it out with the assistance of big clips to clamp it to the table but I am just going to test it out. I will lie it out on the big floor after I've pinned it to see whether or not the table method really worked for me or not. That way I could easily start again ooor I'll just be lucky and not have to do anything else.
Current Projects:
- Game of Thrones/Mario World Mash-up (cross-stitch)