Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Punch Needle

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Punch Needle

Post by arkani »

There doesn't seem to be a tread for this in here, short of a few posts here and there. I figure we can use this thread to share tips and resources and stuff like that. :D

I finally got my punch needle kit in the mail, and after a few dodgy attempts at doing this thing, I think i'm getting the hang of it. The set I bought came with 3 needles, threaders (that bend rather eaily. oops. :blush: ) and on the side of the puncher thing, a depth gauge so I guess I can use that to make gigantic loops and stuff.

I've dug up a few of my old Urban Threads patterns I bought ages ago - I reckon those style of patterns will be really pretty with this. Especially the rainbow animals - the leopard/jaguar and zebra. I when I get better at this I plan to get a quadrillion variegated skeins of Anchor ... um, the thread has gone missing. *eyes cat suspiciously*.. an Anchor variegated reds and yellows and stuff - which is really bright and rich, anyway, and punch the pattern using it. Plus it's super cheap since you only need the hand embroidery pattern! with a sale, you can get them for as little as 50 CENTS. :D

Has anyone tried punching on stuff that's not aida? I've heard of weavers' cloth, but am yet to find it. apparently it's like denim. I've had a bit of a go on thick wool felt and calico - calico works.. ok, I guess? possibly due to my lack of experience lol.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Punch Needle

Post by Remy »

I had never heard of punch needle before but thank you for drawing my attention to it. It reminds me of the chenille work my grandmother (the one I liked) used to do on letter man jackets for school sports teams by machine. This brings back warm memories. I think I'm going to have to add this to my long list of hobbies so I can make the jacket I always wanted. Thank you, Arkani. :)

Btw found weavers cloth for you. http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/fabri ... _fabric.pl

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

I've been meaning to pick up some thick cotton or canvas to try this but I haven't yet... I've had the needles for like a year >.<

I found a tutorial where someone uses muslin fabric and pearl cotton instead of embroidery floss which is an interesting idea.
http://www.milkandhoneyquilts.com/2011/ ... orial.html
I put it on my "Thread Arts" board on Pinterest too - it's where I keep my non-video game/nerd embroidery and cross stitch stuff.
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

I saw the 123 stitch stuff, Remy, thanks! lcockitt is who introduced me to it, thanks to the awesome arcanine that was a make-up gift from last years swap.
I do wonder if weavers cloth paintable though. brown is kinda boring lol.

Calico seems to work ok - I think i'm getting better at it so it's looking better! (I worked from the top down.)
coffee.JPG
coffee.JPG (174.76 KiB) Viewed 4372 times

I've been meaning to go down to the local craft store and grab a ball of Perle #5, and see what happens with that. it's GOT to be better than splitting 8 meters of floss lol.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

arkani wrote:I saw the 123 stitch stuff, Remy, thanks! lcockitt is who introduced me to it, thanks to the awesome arcanine that was a make-up gift from last years swap.
:D I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I've recently bought some Urban Thread designs and will be picking up the punch needle again sometime - once I've finished my swap gift and a few other WIPs.... I really like the Calico work, it looks great!

Totally agree with you about the bendy threaders - they are also quite easy to lose! Splitting embroidery floss is a nightmare as well - let me know how you get on with the Perle #5
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/