Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Miscounting and other errors

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
bulbasaur
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Miscounting and other errors

Post by bulbasaur »

Let's say you (and I don't care if you "never do ;) ) miscounted the number and stitched too many in your cross stitching project, and you find out only after you start filling in around that area. What do you do to rectify this situation?

I'm asking because while I don't think I miscount often, I do have my errors, and I have a lot of trouble trying to fix where I went wrong without taking out whole sections. Is this the best method?

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Miscounting and other errors

Post by Knittenkitten »

If its just one stitch in a whole block, I'll stitch over the top of it the color that its supposed to be. Otherwise I just leave it as is if its not too noticeable. Saves time taking out a whole block of color.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

I try to keep track of where my stitches start and end. If the incorrect stitch is close to the end I snip the last stitch and undo to the problem then I just have 5 to 10 stitches to redo. I also find that in larger patterns a wrong stitch is not noticeable.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

I generally go with snipping one thread and picking out right around the area, and tacking both the ends back down on the back. You can use a needle threader to help you so you don't have to have super long tails to tack down.

That is, of course, if you can't just leave it and modify your pattern around it. I probably left 3 "noticable" mistakes in my Epic Mario; I dare you to find them ^_^

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

Unless I notice it early, I tend to ignore it but if I pick it straight away I'll fix it. One missed or wrong stitch can't possibly be that noticeable anyway :)
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

I'm an absolute perfectionist. If I see one stitch amiss I'll rip everything out and start again.

However, my patterns mean its fairly noticeable when a mistake is made. If I could get away with it, I think I would...

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

I'm with Lord Libidan. If I know there's a mistake it's got to go. If I'm working on a particularly intricate pattern and am worried about making a mistake I sometimes won't secure my thread ends until I've filled in enough to be sure it's right. It's made pulling the stitches back out again much easier on more than one occasion. I do, however, wish I was better at just not letting an off stitch or two bother me!
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/