Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

28 Count Warping...help?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
red_scout
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

28 Count Warping...help?

Post by red_scout »

I've been trying to cross stitch 1:1 on 28 count Evenweave, but no matter what I do or how I do the stitches, the thread warps the other holes around it, closing them. I'm using a single DMC thread (folded so I guess technically it's doubled) with a #28 needle, and it's driving me bonkers. Has anyone else had this problem?

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: 28 Count Warping...help?

Post by funkymonkey »

Yes, I frequently do. I just am particularly careful the direction that I pull the thread through to not make it slip behind the weave of the cloth, and I try not to pull it too tight. If I have to jump around on it, I typically try to go at an angle rather than in a straight line to keep it from wrapping under. This may not be very useful, but you're not alone in your 28 count struggles.

rbaron
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by rbaron »

I had a similar problem when working with 25 ct evenweave. I found that keeping the fabric very very taut on the hoop/frame helped. I adjusted the fabric every 10 stitches or so. It slowed me down, but not nearly as much as fixing that issue every time
Blog: http://backstagestitch.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/Backstagestitches
Travel Blog:http://backstagetravels.wordpress.com

Current Projects:
LOTR Silhouette
Portal Blanket
RMDC wrote:May the only stains on your aida be the blood of your enemies!

Ishtar
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Ishtar »

Tension is usually my only problem. Most things lose tension in hoop or what not. After a while and it can be difficult to keep thread tension for me too.

Maybe drop it back to single thread only as well may help. I would think the thickness would be part of the problem too. I have never done anything smaller than 18 with more than a single thread.

I suggest careful pulling and finding something similar to a product called stitch-n-grip. Looooovvvveee mine. NO tension lost but it has to be outside sewing area only.

Alas, not easy to get hold of unless you are in Australia (rare thing to say lol)
"A bookshelf is as particular to its owner as are his or her clothes; a personality is stamped on a library just as a shoe is shaped by the foot" - Alan Bennett in 'The Library Book'

Image Image

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Be consistent with the direction you stitch in (alway up/down, left/right) and that will help. If you tug consistently in the same direction it should help prevent it from going too far out of line.

Also, tension. If your project is tight enough in its hoop/frame, it will keep it better in line.

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

The advice everyone has given is good but I would also suggest easing up on YOUR tension, not just the fabric's. Pull the thread slower and keep it a bit looser than you normally would on 2:1 stitching. I sounds like you may be pulling it too tight.

I also had this problem with the 2 projects I've done as 1:1 stitching on 28 count... I had to cheat a few times to keep things going. I decided that I didn't care what the back of my work looked like - there were so many color changes it was a mess already - so when I just *couldn't* get a stitch to behave I anchored the thread to the back of other stitches to keep it in place.

On larger pieces this could potentially cause problems if you're not careful, but both of my pieces were under 2" so I didn't care. The end result was that the back looks more like a "rug" then cross stitch, but you would never know that looking at it from the front. Most of this was due to frequent color changes and not my "cheating" but I'm sure it didn't help.

Good luck and be patient :)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

red_scout
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by red_scout »

Wow...thank you for the advice, everyone. The major message I'm getting here is tension, which is very likely the problem since I'm not using a hoop (guess I've gotta go get one if I want to get anywhere in this craft). Moving back to 25 also might be wise until I get better at this.

kuja.girl
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by kuja.girl »

for 1-over-1 stitching I would definitely recommend a hoop or frame! :)
| | | | | peace is but a shadow of death... | | | | | Blog: http://t3chn0crafter.wordpress.com | | | | |

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I'll be honest, I just assumed you were using a hoop or a frame as its inconceivable to me that folks don't. Start with a hoop or frame. Most of your issues will probably go away.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Eliste wrote:I'll be honest, I just assumed you were using a hoop or a frame as its inconceivable to me that folks don't. Start with a hoop or frame. Most of your issues will probably go away.
I've found that I enjoy stitching much more - and have fewer issues - when I eschew the hoop. I'm not stitching any smaller than 18, though.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.