Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Half vs. Full, When to Use Which...?

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
glitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Half vs. Full, When to Use Which...?

Post by glitch »

Like the title suggest, I'm curious as to how people decide when to use a full X stitch and when they use a half stitch. I've seen both being used and the outcome is REALLY GOOD either way, but its a cat that won't leave me alone and now I'm asking. Do people base the decision on the size of the project? Is it up to the person? Is it trial and error thing?

How does one decide...?
I live under a rock, where it's nice and cool.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: Half vs. Full, When to Use Which...?

Post by Knittenkitten »

Unless it is required as part of a kit, I don't use the half stitch. I prefer the full stitch as I feel that it covers the aida better. If you look at the LoZ Return of the King WIP that was just finished, Blink190 used half stitches throughout the whole piece. I've got the picture that he(?) used and when I make it (however far into the future that is) I'll be using full stitches.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I almost never use a half stitch except in a kit. Mostly because I dislike having the fabric behind showing. I'm a cover-it-all kinda gal which means I can stitch on almost any color aida, but if I were to actually do a project where the fabric would be showing as part of the image, then I'd consider a half stitch.

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

I've never used half stitches, and don't think I really ever would. I actually had to look it up in the book my son got me for christmas... I wasn't even sure what it actually was. The only time I've used them is in backstitch when going at an angle and then it really isn't a half stitch. I have used 3/4 stitches before when I am doing something that I want shaped a certain way like a bottle where I want a smooth transition between the neck of it and the body of it, but not in anything I've done recently. The only time I would use it, is as the others have said, where it was in a kit most likely. Although I can see some instances where it might be useful perhaps if you're doing a house and the roof is tiled... You could use a half stitch to show the tiles rather than doing a full stitch.

dangergerbil
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by dangergerbil »

I have to agree with Eliste on this i like complete coverage so i even stitch the background colour rather than specific color aida, This means that halfstitch gives a funny kind of look to my work so always do full cross stitches.
Currently Stitching: Darth Vader on Hoth (Awaiting threads to begin stitching)
Currently Playing: The Secret World (PC) & Race Driver Grid (PC)

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

I use half stitches, when the pattern tells me to. Even then, if I can get away with it, I don't, and if there's going to be a second colour up against it, I use a double half stitch, which is essentially two half stitches together. It gives better coverage, and less fabric showing through. Plus the stitch itself looks nicer.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

Aggie Tsubi
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Aggie Tsubi »

If I'm doing a kit or a pattern that has half stitches, I'm happy to do them, but if I'm making a pattern myself, I don't even think about half stitches. Full cross stitches and back stitches cover just about anything I'd want to design myself.