Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Stain Stick

Discuss how you complete your crafts...
MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Stain Stick

Post by MeiTow »

Good idea...bad idea? What are thoughts, experience, or anything on using a stain stick to help get odd coloring off of aida? I have a couple of brown spots on a project I'll be mailing to a friend soon and I want to be able to get them out before I send it. Looks like they are along where the hoop was so maybe skin oil, although I figured it was just dirt. Would a stain stick/stain pen to be too chemically abrasive on the cloth to use? I don't believe any of the brown area got on the threads, just the cloth.

monkeypeaches
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Stain Stick

Post by monkeypeaches »

Did you use linen or Aida? And is the fabric white or a different color? I really want to find out the answer to this as well, so I think I'll have to do some experiments :wiz

Once I've gotten my hands on some scrap fabric, a stain stick, and some dirt I'll let you know how it goes :D
My blog is a mishmash of my crafty/nerdy lollygagging
http://whimsydaisical.blogspot.com/

Anime I'm stitching along to: Sailor Moon R or Bleach

Image Image Image

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Lol! Thanks Monkey. It's antique white aida.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I probably wouldn't chance it. Even if the stain lifts, it leaves because you're putting some sort of chemical on it. If you want this to last, eventually that chemical will do *something* to the fabric- discolour, weaken fabric, if you're really unlucky eat through it. Did they not come out with normal hand washing?

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

I have not been able to try just handwashing yet. The thought just came to me one day so I figured I'd see what other people thought about it. :) Seems like my sink is never clean when I have the time to devote to getting it washed (i.e. the kid's not done her dishes chore). LOL!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

MeiTow wrote: Seems like my sink is never clean when I have the time to devote to getting it washed (i.e. the kid's not done her dishes chore). LOL!
This is why its usually a plastic bowl that gets used in my house. I've used buckets before. You shouldn't be putting enough soap to get it really soapy anyway, so rinsing shouldn't really be an issue. I usually pour out the water, refill, swirl, empty water, repeat until the water is no longer making suds (and really there shouldn't be suds) to rinse.

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

I use Oxy Clean Stain spray. It gets out the stains without taking out any color that it shouldn't. It really works.... and it smells good too! ;)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

SofaraStarfyre
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by SofaraStarfyre »

I use my glass baking dishes for wetting and "washing" my finished projects for the smaller ones I do. When they are bigger I usually use the shower head as we have one that can be taken down and used by hand. I never thought about getting a plastic tub (the shallow ones that are like for storing stuff under the bed, and not the gigantic ones that are the length of the bed or anything, just the smaller shallow ones that are big enough for a sweater or two) and using that for washing the larger ones but I think that would work too.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Oooo, we do have a "rinse" tub (have to hand wash dishes and only one basin) and I never even thought of using that. lol

Now to just stop procrastinating and get it done so I can mail it to my friend. lolol