Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Ballad of the Wind Fish

Post your completed patterns here...
CrazyCucco11
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Ballad of the Wind Fish

Post by CrazyCucco11 »

Thanks, i like the fabric too (i found it on sale, i guess no one else liked the "aged" look), it's 14 ct. i'm trying to just compare the colors a choose what i like best because i'm not a huge fan of some of the colors that the program spit out for me to use. I'll post a picture when i'm finished, then it will probably be banished to 'framing purgatory'. i'm super slow when it comes to framing my work. The back stitching wasn't that bad, and learning to stitch the staff and notes will prove to be a great skill. now i can stitch people's wedding songs, favorite hymns, etc. :D
Time passes, people move, like a rivers' flow, it never ends...
-Sheik

Current Project:
RMDC's Ballad of the Wind Fish

Next Projects:
Hunting for a cool Dr. Who bookmark...

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

The stitching on the notes looks very beautiful. And I agree, there does need to be more patterns for songs. Hm....*ponders*
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Looks way cool!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

robotcat
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by robotcat »

What a cool idea! <3 Takes me right back to the game. (I'm in a replay and not ready to let go of Bow Wow!)

kurokuni23
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by kurokuni23 »

Ahhh memories.

Love this pattern, can't wait for a chance to start.

Now if there was only a way to create more song patterns....

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

First one done? :) Been working on this the past couple of months and just dropped it off to be framed this afternoon. Stuck with the colors given, didn't see any reason to change (I guess if I had fired up a copy of the game and compared things directly that might have made a difference, but from what I remember and such these colors were good enough). Backstitching wasn't annoying per se, just really had to pay attention to what I was doing/be more focused than the other stitching. The French knots were annoying, but at least there were only a few. I did make some changes though, to the musical notation (and a couple of things I would have changed had I caught them ahead of time). One of the reasons I chose this pattern is because I am a musician/band nerd, so it fits me (along with being a fan of the Zelda series). And I was able to draw on that music experience to make the pattern a little better/closer to usual musical conventions. Let me know if you'd like to know what I changed (and the couple of things I didn't, but would). This project was a little rougher than most of my others, required more focus, but I gained more experience, learned some things (like forget French knots and the horse they rode on :) ) and overall, enjoyed working on it. And am happy with how it turned out.
Attachments
la done 9-29-20 IMG_20200929_122500056.jpg

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

As far as I know, this is definitely the first one completed--I never even did one myself! It's my great white (rainbow?) whale, so to speak. Yours came out beautifully! My little backstitch nightmare is all grown up! :tri

I'm glad to hear that the colors worked without the need for a change. I played the game before the DX version was released, so I was less concerned with making the colors game-accurate and more with how the game made me feel the colors should be. :P

In the original post, I see that I talked about having to use petite stitches to make the off-grid note heads. What I now realize is that I wasn't explicit in saying that my intent was that each note head should still be a single, full-size cross stitch, and that there was no way to create an off-grid, full-size stitch in KG Chart, so I just used the petite stitch tool as a means to represent what should have been a full-size cross stitch. In other words, my lack of clarity made life much, much harder for you, so please accept my apologies (and my respect for your skill at pulling it off so darn well anyway!).

I would absolutely love to know what changes you made/would make, particularly to the notation. I can read musical notation the way I can read Japanese: very slowly, a bit at a time, without a nuanced grasp of what's going on. When I copied this from the sheet music I found, I did so uncritically, save to make sure that the notes actually played something recognizable. Having a vetted copy of the music would be so much better.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

Thank you. :) Thanks for making the pattern. Zelda and music, this is a good representation of me/my likes.

Note heads should have been fully stitches? Man, that would have saved me some headache. :) Totally missed that in the first post, but yeah, I made it work. That which doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. But I've had an idea for a music pattern of my own and this was great experience to see what worked, what didn't and so on.

You can read Japanese better than me. I own a Famicom and a Super Famicom, so a number of Japanese games, but can't read a lick of it. Rely on English translations and pattern recognition. But happy to share the changes I made/would have made.

1) one I would have made is the time signature should only be at the start of the piece, rather than the start of every line
2) all your sixteenth notes should have been eighth notes, based on barlines/how things were grouped. Just a matter of taking off one of the bars on the grouped notes.
3) nothing wrong with a pickup/incomplete measure to start a piece, done all the time, but then you need to complete that measure with the last measure of the piece. I saw the sixteenth notes in the pick up measure and stitched the last measure based on that (so one beat in the pickup measure, the other three beats in the last measure). And then realized point #2 above. Because I'd already done the last measure, I left the pickup measure as sixteenth notes (and changed the eighth rest to a sixteenth rest to make the beats work out), so starts a little faster than intended, but it isn't a huge deal. What I'd do is leave the pickup measure as eighth notes, then just have a half note in the last measure to complete things and take out the final rest.
4) added a second barline at the end of the piece. Double bar indicates the end of a piece/section.
5) pickup measure to start a piece is fine, but you really can't have one in the middle of the piece (you could have made the first line it's own section and so line two would be the start of another section, but that doesn't really fit for this piece/this short a piece). As such, I shifted the barlines in the second line to make the beats work out.
5a) this meant I also had to change the note at the end of the second line from a whole note to a half note. I debated whether to end that line with a half note tied to a whole note or half note and a rest or something and decided to keep it simple with just the half note.
5b) I know the blank measure at the end of the second line was intended to keep the lines even, but it doesn't make sense musically. If there's no intended sound, you'd put in a rest. So I cut that out (and shifted the half note to end that line over to the right a square or two, just to fill the space some)
6) missed a French knot on the dotted quarter that starts the last line. Should be a dot on both notes.

Think that's it. Hopefully these were clear/help so version 2.0 is that much better. :) And I will say that while this was more challenging/a bit more frustrating and requiring more focus than other projects I've done, it wasn't that terrible, and I'm glad to have done it. And it didn't take that long to do. Based on WIP pictures and such, looks like it took me about 9 weeks, doing an hour or so a day. So we're looking at 60ish hours. Now that it's been shown to be possible, hopefully others will want to complete it as well.

skater43
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by skater43 »

And here's the final, framed project. Credit goes to The Artery https://www.the1artery.com/ for the frame job.
Attachments
la framed IMG_20201021_124111983.jpg

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Beautiful! And great framing job!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson