Ballad of the Wind Fish

Post your completed patterns here...
RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Ballad of the Wind Fish

Post by RMDC »

"Ballad of the Wind Fish" from Link's Awakening! :D

I've been working on this off and on for a couple months now, but the idea's been in my head ever since I got the bug to figure out the tune on dulcimer a while back. It took a long time to find a decent set of sheet music to copy, and along the way, I discovered the B-flat clarinet transposition for my wife.

WARNING: all the sprites were constructed by hand in KG Chart. The colors are selected from KG Chart's list. They bear absolutely no relation to your floss selection. PLEASE eyeball the colors for yourself. I wish I knew how to add comments in a KG Chart file so that I could include this dire warning within.

FUNKY STITCHES: There are a few french knots. There's a ton of backstitching. I had to use the petite stitch tool to fill in the quarter and eighth notes, because some of them cross the grid line. A note's head takes up one square. If it's between the lines - a high C, for example - it's a normal stitch. If it's on a line - high D - then the stitch is vertically offset by half a square. It will make for some fun times, I'm sure. I don't know of a simple way to fix the situation. Sorry. :P My guide for making the notes was a Dimensions piece we had lying around; it had no EGBDF notes on the staff, naturally. I suggest backstitching around the quarter and eighth note heads in order to keep them in line with the half notes.

If you have improvements or suggestions, please drop them here! This is my next big stitching project, but as of this moment, it's untested.
Attachments
BotWF Preview.png
BotWF Preview.png (235.57 KiB) Viewed 31153 times
Ballad of the Wind Fish.sth
(28.34 KiB) Downloaded 889 times
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Ballad of the Wind Fish

Post by RMDC »

And the PDF:
Attachments
BotWF.pdf
(782.29 KiB) Downloaded 1216 times

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Looks lovely, and somewhat challenging! I wish I had the time to do this for myself, but I will look forward to seeing you or someone else doing it!
RMDC wrote:I've been working on this off and on for a couple months now, but the idea's been in my head ever since I got the bug to figure out the tune on dulcimer a while back. It took a long time to find a decent set of sheet music to copy, and along the way, I discovered the B-flat clarinet transposition for my wife.
It must be awesome in your house. :cool:
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

rosey175
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by rosey175 »

Haha, this is great! I love the way you did the score! I've never minded backstitching 'cause it adds so much awesome detail~
RMDC wrote:I wish I knew how to add comments in a KG Chart file so that I could include this dire warning within.
I'm not sure if older versions of KG have the comment section, but in mine there's a separate tab to add them in. They print out under the floss and chart info~
Spoiler

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Yes, now I see the tab - if it had been a Like-Like, I'd be missing my shield. >.>

I suppose I'll include the comments if the file ever gets updated with more appropriate colors; ATM I'm getting ready for a road trip, so not enough time to fix. T_T

CrazyCucco11
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by CrazyCucco11 »

I love this pattern so much, it is definitely next on my list! i really enjoy backstitching, so the fact that it is a focal point of this piece is great! Very creative, and i think that you really summed up the whimsy vs realism of this game.
Time passes, people move, like a rivers' flow, it never ends...
-Sheik

Current Project:
RMDC's Ballad of the Wind Fish

Next Projects:
Hunting for a cool Dr. Who bookmark...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Thank you for your kind words! You really made my day. :yahoo: I totally haven't checked in on this thread since my last post, so it was also a pleasant surprise to see that the files have been getting downloads. It's a shame I haven't made time for the piece myself. I'd love to try it out after I'm done with holiday presents for others.

I'm intensely interested in how the color selection turned out. If you make any changes, or otherwise feel edits are in order, will you keep me posted? I trust a fresh pair of eyes better than my own.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

This is a great piece of music. I haven't played the game but I just googled the song. So pretty :)

We should figure out a good music notation patterning. I did one with 3 stitches per line, which takes up a lot of space. Will be interesting to see how the half stitches turn out
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

CrazyCucco11
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by CrazyCucco11 »

ballad of the wind fish 1.jpg
ballad of the wind fish 1.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 27368 times
Just started working on this. i love the music in the middle, and would love to see more music-based patterns!
Time passes, people move, like a rivers' flow, it never ends...
-Sheik

Current Project:
RMDC's Ballad of the Wind Fish

Next Projects:
Hunting for a cool Dr. Who bookmark...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Wow! Three years on and someone still beats me to my own pattern. :P What cool fabric! What's the count? How obnoxious was all that backstitching? Do let me know if any of the colors need changing. I've abandoned KG Chart in favor of PC Stitch, so if there are any changes needed, I'll put out a new version in PAT format.