Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Sprite Stitch Pattern Wiki

Post your completed patterns here...
funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Sprite Stitch Pattern Wiki

Post by funkymonkey »

Cool! To see what I've been playing around with, check it out at http://spritestitch.wikia.com/

The only big difference I see on this one compared to the wikispaces, is you can't make it private. Anyone with a registered wikia account can make edits. I can make certain pages protected (so once we decide what a pattern page template can be, I can "lock" it) but on the whole, you don't have to be a "member" of the wiki to edit on it.

I don't think this is a big enough downside to not use it, but if there turns out to be problems, or people who edit without sticking to the template, etc, at least we're aware of it upfront.

Since I wasn't an admin of the old wiki, I can't download the backup of it. I also don't remember what the basic template items were.

There are two things I've been playing around with, making a Template:Pattern to use for pattern pages, and customizing the Template:Infobox to have optional pattern details fields. Check out the page for the one pattern I have created: http://spritestitch.wikia.com/wiki/Epic ... h_The_Ages

That page is a little unique, because it is linked to two pattern posts. Most pages will only have one of these Infoboxes, and associated pattern links.

The other interesting thing, it looks like images have to be hosted on their site. You can upload them, but you can't link to an image hosted here, for instance.

From that page, you can tell the format I'm picturing.

Title of pattern <links to SpriteStitch forum post with pattern files attatched, not necessarily the first post of the thread>
Created by: username of creator, or URL of source if not a SS member
Any details specific to the pattern, like where the image came from, any special materials used, etc.

Infobox featuring pattern image (if available), along with pattern details. Current details I have included in the template:
  • Canvas size (in stitches; it seems unnecessary to bother calculating inches/cm, since people can use different thread count and that makes it obsolete)
  • Stitch count (in case the background isn't stitched, will give a better representation of the volume of the final stitching)
  • # of Colors
Featured completed stitchings (section)
If there are notable completed stitchings (for Epic patterns, most likely) they can be listed here and linked, along with completed date

I know I've eliminated some things that used to be in the details, like Manufacturer, game/movie/etc, but I think that info may be better implemented with categories. I'm thinking we can have main categories, like Games, Characters, Platform (maybe?) and then subcategories beneath those for better organization. It doesn't look like there are tags in this wiki, or a tag cloud.

Please let me know if you think we need something added to this template, or changed, or any additional details to add to the Infobox. All of the details are optional, so anything you think would be useful I can add there and it can be used the creator's discretion.

Feel free to add a page to play around with it, but I would recommend against any serious editing until we have this format agreed upon and templates in place.
Last edited by funkymonkey on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Looking good!! I like Wikia, used it for finding rare items on xenoblade chronicle, so I know it's a good set up.

I might be able to help by making a check list of patterns if you like?
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

QueenBex wrote:I might be able to help by making a check list of patterns if you like?
That would be amazing. Maybe you could create a google doc or other shareable list so others can help out? I imagine this will take quite a while to identify. I don't even know the best way to get all the way back to the "start" of the forums, maybe you could break down the list by forum topic (i know most will be under the two Patterns topics, but i'm sure there are additional patterns elsewhere)

Servotron
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Servotron »

I've got the backups of the original wiki, so I've sent them over to funkymonkey in a PM.
Image Image Image Image

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Servotron wrote:I've got the backups of the original wiki, so I've sent them over to funkymonkey in a PM.
Excellent! Thank you!

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Let me know if the template looks good, or if you think we need to add anything. If it looks good, I'll import the old Wiki pages. I don't want to jump the gun on that though, because if we change the template after I import them, we'd need to update them all.

Here's a sample of a page that is using the basic template: http://spritestitch.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_TNG_towel

If I hear a couple "Looks good, let's do this!"-type posts, I'll fire it off. Any changes/opinions are welcome though; I want this to be as useful and usable as it can be, since there's no point in putting all this work into something people don't use.

Edit: one cool thing I just added. When you add details to a pattern, there's a field for Number of stitches wide, and Number of stitches tall. I updated the template to automatically calculate approximate sizes for 14 and 18 count, based on the stitch number. This way, it adds the info for those who care to see it, but doesn't create any extra work for those creating the page. I'm pretty happy about it!
Spoiler
Updated.png
Updated.png (72.73 KiB) Viewed 28438 times

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Looks good, let's do this! ;)

I like the size calculation add-on. Count me in. I'll make a Wikia account later. Are we going to handle volunteering the same way as Kuja was doing before, where we sign up for all or part of a particular category (Zelda, etc.)?
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

RMDC wrote:Looks good, let's do this! ;)
Heh, thanks. I got bored and started anyway :) so I've done all of the former pages that started with A. I had optimistic hopes of being able to import them as a batch, but since the template is changing up slightly, and I'm updating URLs to point specifically to the posts with the patterns, they don't translate 1:1. It still is a helpful starting point, though.

I think the best way to break it down will be to get an alphabetical chunk of the old ones, until we get to the identifying of new patterns that QB voluneered to start up.

If you're new to wikia, I'd recommend creating one with the VisualEditor first, just so you see what's going on. Then, the fastest way by far is just to copy my Source Editor template and paste the details in, if you're comfortable with the markup.

Info here: http://spritestitch.wikia.com/wiki/How_ ... _A_Pattern

and if you're still interested, PM me and I'll send you a chunk of the old pages. Unfortunately it's alphabetical, not by theme, but I'm enjoying learning about all these random topics, particularly when I have to wikipedia the source so I know how to categorize it as a tv show or book or whatnot :)

SunkistShiek
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by SunkistShiek »

I wouldn't mind helping Queen go through the forums and finding patterns! Also, if I can get a moment to read up on it, I could probably help transfer them to Wikia. Whatever you guys need me to do, I'm here. Just let me know. :)
WIP
Link's Sword (4/30); SAL Sampler; Adult Size Monster Pants (knitting)
ImageImageImage

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Hey QB; found your list of new patterns in the pattern wiki backups and added it to the new one, if it's useful:
http://spritestitch.wikia.com/wiki/New_Patterns_list

If you'd rather start over or take a different approach, don't feel obligated to use this page. Just wanted to share it since I found it.