Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Epic Pokemon Pattern Generation II

Post your completed patterns here...
elleinad
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Re: Epic Pokemon Pattern Generation II

Post by elleinad »

Quick question, what kind of stand or hoop or frame or whathaveyou do you guys suggest for something like this? I've bought a wooden frame like the one pictured in the last wip picture, but i was wondering if there was a stand for it so i could like stand it up like an an easel...and any general tips would be great too... :pika

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

elleinad wrote:Quick question, what kind of stand or hoop or frame or whathaveyou do you guys suggest for something like this? I've bought a wooden frame like the one pictured in the last wip picture, but i was wondering if there was a stand for it so i could like stand it up like an an easel...and any general tips would be great too... :pika
I preffer scroll frames for large projects like this, as I worry about distortion caused from hoops. If you are using hoops for long projects I think I remember reading somewhere that it is best to take it out of the hoop when you are not working on it. I know you can get stands for frames like this, but demand is low so they are hard to find, and probably expensive. I normally just lean the top of it up against a table and work on the bottom section. I got my Dad to help me make that frame specially so that it would be the right size. For large projects most people put in some brightly coloured thread to outline pages or similar so that it is harder to make mistakes, and then take it out at the end. I would recomend this, even with it I have made so many mistakes... Good luck!
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

elleinad
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by elleinad »

Cool so, i just started this pattern yesterday. Took some pictures and here they are :grin: :wiz
Just the boring squares for now, but i'm just sooooo excited i couldn't wait to post this up and stitch more and more and more! :D Also, i used pencil to make my grid lines, does anyone know if that'll produce a major effect on the finished product? :hmm:

Specs are:
Ivory 18ct aida
personal measurem.: 14.50 x 25.125in.
28pt embroidery needle
Frame WxL: 27 x 12 in
got most of my my skeins from michaels and some from wal-mart

and i've already bent my needle :moog
Spoiler
Blankcanvas.jpg
Blankcanvas.jpg (218.15 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
front1silsq.JPG
front1silsq.JPG (300.88 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
turn your heads to the right :)
turn your heads to the right :)
front3silsq.JPG (225.35 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
back1silsq.JPG
back1silsq.JPG (233.77 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
bk5-2silsq.jpg
bk5-2silsq.jpg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
:banana FTW

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

elleinad wrote:i used pencil to make my grid lines, does anyone know if that'll produce a major effect on the finished product?
Some people use special markers that are designed to wash out of fabric. Never heard of anyone using pencil, hopefully it will be fine =) Personally I decided against stitching the background (too much effort!) but good start so far. Hope you have the endurance to stick with it!
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

samarin
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by samarin »

Ive had some issues with pencil - mainly it getting rubbed off on lighter threads, and being visible in un-stitched areas (not a problem here tho). I find it very hard to wash off fabric - had to use a toothbrush and handsoap to remove the lines from my sampler
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchedPixels
WIPs
Pokemon All Gens - 40/270 pages (14.8%)
Quilt Squares 1/48 done, square 2 - 70%
Elizabeth (sepia) - 50%
Playing
tomb raider and fallout new vegas

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

I use pencil too. I haven't had any real problems with using it though. I only use it for projects where I'm covering the whole piece. I use a mechanical pencil instead of a regular pencil. I find that the marks don't rub off onto my threads and it washes out pretty well without any trouble.
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

samarin
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by samarin »

Knittenkitten wrote:I use pencil too. I haven't had any real problems with using it though. I only use it for projects where I'm covering the whole piece. I use a mechanical pencil instead of a regular pencil. I find that the marks don't rub off onto my threads and it washes out pretty well without any trouble.
i must have been using the evil pencil that smudges onto thread and then doesn't like to come off fabric, hehe. I am quite in love with my water soluble/vanishing markers tho. Can't find anything that works well on dark aida tho.
WIPs
Elizabeth (sepia) - 50%
Playing

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

It's possible. I try to stay away from things that will smudge. It's such a pain to get clean afterwards. I find a mechanical pencil is easier because the lead will fall into the individual holes, so my lines stay straight and don't meander all over the place when I'm gridding (I can't draw a straight line for the life of me without a ruler).
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

elleinad
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by elleinad »

Cool thanks for the tips guys/gals
samarin wrote:I am quite in love with my water soluble/vanishing markers tho. Can't find anything that works well on dark aida tho.
lol hm, i do actually have a blue water erasable pen too (and i did have the two sided blue/purple vanishing/water erasable pen -- until my dog chewed it to bitsies) but i didn't use it for some odd reason...Also, i have this Crayon Transfer Pencil from DMC that's white, which is supposed to work well on dark fabrics.
image_ed.jpeg
image_ed.jpeg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 7130 times

samarin
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by samarin »

ive tried about 40$ worth of different white and light colored pencils - but none of them wash off of my test fabric, even with light scrubbing in the un stitched areas
WIPs
Elizabeth (sepia) - 50%
Playing