Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Ness from EarthBound (stitching app comparison)

Post your completed patterns here...
benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Ness from EarthBound (stitching app comparison)

Post by benjibot »

Or, Hey! Look what I was able to do!

I was playing around with Cross Over today to see if I could use it to run PCStitch. Cross Over is an application that emulates certain base level processes of Windows to allow Mac and Linux machines to run Windows applications without actually running Windows. PCStitch isn't a supported application and I had no idea if it would run at all.

It worked, mostly.

Because I was afraid it might crash again I just took these screen shots without doing much to fix them up or create a cohesive chart. All the same, I'm quite pleased that I got it to run at all.
Last edited by benjibot on Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: Sorry Town, USA | Tweets: Twitter | Photos: Flickr | Sales: Etsy

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: Ness from EarthBound

Post by benjibot »

Just for the sake of completeness, here's the same exact chart as generated by MacStitch. I should stitch something in both color sets and see how they compare.

Something I've noticed in my experimentation with chart software is it tends to be difficult to just get a danged list of the colors used, particularly with the chart symbols. I guess they expect you to print everything out, but I like to work straight off of the computer screen.

johloh
Site Admin

Re: Ness from EarthBound (stitching app comparison)

Post by johloh »

interesting comparison. I dunno about macstitch but pcstitch seems pretty good to me, except when dealing with 'skin tones'.
Image "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you!"

sirinth
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by sirinth »

benjibot wrote: Something I've noticed in my experimentation with chart software is it tends to be difficult to just get a danged list of the colors used, particularly with the chart symbols. I guess they expect you to print everything out, but I like to work straight off of the computer screen.
That's when 'Print Preview' and the Print Screen button come in handy.
Gamer, Cross-Stitcher, and Twitch.tv partner.
Watch me Cross Stitch and chat with me LIVE on Twitch!
Image ImageImage Image Image

dragonfoxmem
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by dragonfoxmem »

yea, Mac's and PC's has different ways of colors because of difference of gamma and others I forgot. In Photoshop (not Element, this very main one software), when you change the color mode of image (RGB, CMYK, Index, Grayscale, etc) to Index, it will pop up the option box. Within the option box, change the palate. You will notice the difference of color between System of Mac and PC.

Yea, "Print Screen" is often handy. When I am trying to get the sprites out of http://www.serebii.net, this website prevents us from using "right-click" over the images, so I "print-screen" and pasted into Photoshop to crop it out.

benjibot
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by benjibot »

sirinth wrote:That's when 'Print Preview' and the Print Screen button come in handy.
Yeah, that's what I'd do if I had a registered copy of either application. I should really pick up a copy of MacStitch, but these limited market apps tend to run a bit spendy. I can't do a print preview until I pony up the dough. Screen shots are the best I can manage at the time.

After playing around with it briefly I have to say PCStitch might just be a better application than MacStitch. I have to concede defeat to Windows there. If I already owned a copy of Windows and planned to run something like Parallels or Fusion I'd have to consider picked that up.

I did manage to pick up the floss needed to make both versions of this chart. I stopped by the local craft store yesterday and the line snaked a quarter of the way to the back of the store. I decided to wait until a weekday. I'll post a comparison shot of the two finished stitches just for the sake of completeness.

Pyro
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Pyro »

C: very nice. Can't wait till i finish Ness.