Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Where do you get your supplies?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Where do you get your supplies?

Post by Kareesh »

I usually go to Michael's but lately they've been out of stock of a lot of the colors I need. And not just one time, but several time I go there. Plus, the rest of their cross stitching supplies are pretty non-existent. I sent them an e-mail awhile about it, and they replied along the lines of "Yeah, we're following the trends, so we're pretty much reducing what we have". Hobby Lobby is a bit more expensive (40¢ a skein) but they have a huuuuge selection of supplies. It's further away, but if Michael's doesn't have what I need, then I'll go there.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Lately, I've found that AC Moore has been terrible about restocking their floss. They did an inventory and a reset in January that forced them into a reorder, but after that it's been (non-) business as usual. So I've taken to picking up the floss I can't otherwise get at my Friendly Local Needlecraft Shop (in this case, The Needlewoman East on our day in Falls Church each week). It's eighty cents a skein, but it's worth it to me to support a local business which has a crew of people who come in to stitch and catch up with each other. Needlewoman will order things I want, and they keep a stock of aida by the bolt, as well as some interesting hand-dyed aida and mesh. I still buy floss at AC Moore, but mostly to fill in the empty spaces in my DMC collection (it will be complete!), but for projects, I'm using my FLNS more and more.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

no_need
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by no_need »

My local Hobbycraft (Solihull) has stopped stocking DMC floss... Really annoying as they're the only place local to me with a physical shop where you can go in and inspect the materials. I used to use them for picking colours since I am not fortunate enough to possess the giant DMC colour chart yet... Does anyone know of any decent places in the Midlands that stocks DMC?
Current projects: 'Heroes' sketch, experiments with surface embroidery.

"We have to build the republic of heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."
--Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

Kareesh wrote:... Hobby Lobby is a bit more expensive (40¢ a skein)...
D:
So...Cheap.. Lucky to find the colours I need for less than a buck. If I can't find it, then it's $1.50.
I've been using 123stitch lately, though the shipping increases have made it a bit harder to afford things. Still more than $30 cheaper than locally, though, for an exactly the same item shop, which is a bit sad.

not quite a supply, though probably handy - where's a good place to get a day light,and a millennium frame? i'm gong through the threads at the moment, so I may be able to answer that myself.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

Louwheezy
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by Louwheezy »

Does anyone know of any good shops that sell cross stitch kits and supplies in London, within zones 1-3 on the tube? I'm visiting for a few days and I'm hoping to check out ones you don't find everywhere like Hobby Craft or John Lewis.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

I want to start getting perler beads, is it normal for them to be so expensive? I am having a hard time convincing my husband to let me get them...I live out in the middle of nowhere, so it costs me around 40 bucks to just get to the nearest craft store...20-ish just to get to the nearest WalMart.
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

Aridesh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Aridesh »

I buy them directly from EK Success, the makers of the perler brand. It tends to be a better deal for me than in stores, especially if you buy in large quantities (for free shipping). However, even if you don't, it's still $2.49 per package of 1000, and the price decreases the more packages you buy. Here's the website if you wanted to check it out. http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/perlerbeads/
Current WIPs: Baby's Christmas Stocking
Shop: fromarideshwithlove.tictail.com
Blog: fromarideshwithlove.wordpress.com
Most progress pictures are on my Instagram. http://www.instagram.com/craftyaridesh

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Thanks :) I am hoping that my husband lets me get some stuff :) I'm dying to make wall hangings for my son's playroom!
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Sophie's Universe

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Remy »

Just got word from family in the US that Hobby Lobby is refusing to go along with new healthcare bit and is taking it to court. If they lose there will be a huge fine and all stores will be closing. Might want to keep an eye on that ie big clearance sale possible.

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Remy wrote:Just got word from family in the US that Hobby Lobby is refusing to go along with new healthcare bit and is taking it to court. If they lose there will be a huge fine and all stores will be closing. Might want to keep an eye on that ie big clearance sale possible.
I've heard that too. I live in the middle of nowhere and Hobby Lobby is about 2 hours away, so hopefully they don't close because then the nearest store is even further. I will have to start ordering online again and risk my packages being stolen all over again :(
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Sophie's Universe