Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Where do you get your supplies?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
embryoprincess
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: Where do you get your supplies?

Post by embryoprincess »

Do you all have a specific place where you go to purchase magnets? I keep looking around online and all the reviews are far from good as far as what they can hold. I usually make everything out of plastic canvas. What type of magnets do you all use to hold up some of your plastic canvas creations?
My noobish cross stitch attempts can be found on tumblr =]

Dragoniron7
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Dragoniron7 »

FYI...........i know Wal-Mart stopped selling DMC thread awhile ago, but i was browsing the other day and saw DMC thread for 30 cents. I live in VA so i dont know if they are selling it in all their store or not.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

embryoprincess wrote:Do you all have a specific place where you go to purchase magnets?
TheLanceman tipped me off to these neodymium magnets. They're a good size, and they pull just about perfectly. Two are perfect to hold up a double-sided 2" square magnet done in perforated plastic. They're 18 USD for a pack of 100, so if you plan on making several items, they're a good bargain.

Dragoniron7 wrote:FYI...........i know Wal-Mart stopped selling DMC thread awhile ago, but i was browsing the other day and saw DMC thread for 30 cents. I live in VA so i dont know if they are selling it in all their store or not.
I'm pretty sure they're doing it chain-wide. They've definitely started rolling it out in northern VA where I am.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

deborah
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by deborah »

wamart is selling DMC thread in two stores near me. The Walmart in Nashville TN near me have a lot of selection of numbers but I notice some of the numbers missing.

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

For a while walmart did away with the fabric by the yard in new stores and drastically reduced the yarn crafts (knitting, needlework etc). I think due to the rise of the crafting movement, they have begun to reintroduce the aforementioned sections back.

One walmart near me was built 3 years ago without a fabric by the yard section, and within the past year they added it in. Still no DMC floss.

The walmart that is the closest to me has always carried DMC floss, but I have noticed any floss below number 200 they do not carry, in addition to several numbers in the 3000s. I am tackling the Epic Pokemon Pattern Gen 1, and walmart carries 43 out of 105 colors I need.

What's sad is I can get the floss cheaper at walmart than I can at Michaels with my employee discount. Even worse. . .hobby lobby across the street has a flawless DMC section while I've been working off and on for the past YEAR trying to adjust the stock to get the colors my regulars and I need in. Ugh. My discount is basically rendered useless. . .
WIPs:
Super Mario World Map: 25ish %?
Super Mario Mini Maps: Yoshi= restart. . .oy

IHateThatGuy
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by IHateThatGuy »

For those Canadians here, http://www.herrschners.ca (an American company with a Canadian shipping store located in Kingston I believe) sells DMC skeins in Canada for 44 cents a skein. I don't know if any cheaper Canadian sites have been mentioned.

Lileya
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Lileya »

IHateThatGuy wrote:For those Canadians here, http://www.herrschners.ca (an American company with a Canadian shipping store located in Kingston I believe) sells DMC skeins in Canada for 44 cents a skein. I don't know if any cheaper Canadian sites have been mentioned.

They have a location in Kitchener, ON but it's purely a legal thing it seems (so they can charge you GST/HST...) . Your order still ships from the US... I ordered from them thinking I would get my order quicker than if I ordered from 123stitch.com, but it took just as long (if not longer...) as it shipped from their US location. I would stick with 123stitch at that point. And their customer services isn't the best, and the tracking number they provided me with never actually worked, even though the customer service rep kept insisting it would once it crossed the border... "roll eyes"
Current projects :
Out of commission after surgery until May.

Currently playing : Speed runs of Biohazard HD Remaster

IHateThatGuy
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by IHateThatGuy »

Lileya wrote:
IHateThatGuy wrote:For those Canadians here, http://www.herrschners.ca (an American company with a Canadian shipping store located in Kingston I believe) sells DMC skeins in Canada for 44 cents a skein. I don't know if any cheaper Canadian sites have been mentioned.

They have a location in Kitchener, ON but it's purely a legal thing it seems (so they can charge you GST/HST...) . Your order still ships from the US... I ordered from them thinking I would get my order quicker than if I ordered from 123stitch.com, but it took just as long (if not longer...) as it shipped from their US location. I would stick with 123stitch at that point. And their customer services isn't the best, and the tracking number they provided me with never actually worked, even though the customer service rep kept insisting it would once it crossed the border... "roll eyes"
Thanks for the tip. I'll just order from 1-2-3 Stitch and ignore Herrschners. I live right by the border (Windsor, Ontario) but kind of dread going to Michigan these days as Detroit basically looks like a scene from RoboCop.

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

For people in the UK - http://www.across-town-stitching.talktalk.net/ does some good offers (prices go up tomorrow for some items apparently, but I'm not sure which items will) The postage is reasonable, although it may take a few days for the goods to arrive. If the lady doesn't have stock of everything you've ordered, she'll deliver what she can and send the rest when she has it, no extra charge. Standard DMC and Anchor threads are currently 40p a skein, and she does specials for 50, 100, 150 and 200 skeins.
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

Aggie Tsubi
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Aggie Tsubi »

I don't really shop anywhere out of the ordinary for my supplies. I used to go to Jo-Ann when I lived in Washington state, but they're pretty much nonexistent here in NYC. But I'm lucky that a Michaels is literally right next to the grocery store that we shop at the most, so that's where I shop for cross stitch supplies now. It's 39 cents a skein, and there's just about always a coupon online that I can use (don't even have to print it out; I send it to my fiance's smartphone and they can scan it right off of that). I'm guessing Michaels probably prices things the same everywhere in the US, so it's a great deal for me because typically everything is way more expensive here in NYC. I've looked into other store options around here, but the independent craft stores have prices that seem pretty outrageous to me, like $1+ per skein. That's just the nature of the city we live in so I can't blame them, but I'm sticking to Michaels. :nod