Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

New to cross stitching!

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Draconix
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Re: New to cross stitching!

Post by Draconix »

funkymonkey wrote:All you need to do is divide the number of stitches high/wide by the count of your fabric. So, 109w / 18 ct = ~6 in, 63h / 18 ct = 3.5 in. Definitely cut yourself some extra wiggle room; sometimes the thread count isn't *exactly* 18 per inch. You'll also want extra around the edges to put in a frame or hoop as you stitch, if you're using one, and for framing when you're finished.

Ok thank you! So about half inch wiggle room?

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

I generally give myself at least an inch border (generally 2-3 inch) around the project, and that is after I mark/pin out the actual area (I got caught out one too many times assuming an even as stated count). If you cut it too fine it can frey a bit, and you can always cut it back to fit a frame later.

Also, if a pattern lists a stich count as well as dimensions, DOUBLE CHECK the dimensions from the stich count. Always. Some programs (like KGChart) default to a stitch over two squares, which a pattern maker may not always pick up on (guilty as charged) and will through the listed dimensions right off.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

My standard is at least two inches extra border for framing. You might want to include more if you're using a hoop, depending on whether the hoop takes up more than a third of the stitching area. My stitching is done nekkid of hoops partly because I tend to not leave enough room at the edges.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.