Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Post by ScienceDad »

tbsp wrote: After looking at it further (and assuming you likely just use the "nearest point" in the RGB space), it seems the program I'm using to do color reduction before running the image through Spriter (Irfanview) is tweaking the colors just enough to make the colors I don't want the nearest matches. I've tried two other programs, but they're doing even worse. The variation in results when reducing the same image from 57 to 34 colors in various programs is quite interesting.

Unfortunately my best results still seem to be with Stitches (OSX), which is doing such a good job (imo) at reduction/matching that I suspect it's somehow reducing colors with the DMC thread color space taken into consideration. I say unfortunately because that software carries an $80 price tag and doesn't produce very readable charts.
Yup, right now Spriter is only calculating the Euclidean distance in RGB colour space to all DMC threads and taking the minimum. I've been considering weighting the dimensions, in case we as human beings are more sensitive to differences in green than red, for example; but I don't yet know whether such a bias exists for RGB (or I should say, I haven't yet bothered to look :D ).

Regarding colour reduction, it makes the most sense to me to reduce in DMC colour space rather than the original RGB colour space. I'm also considering weighting the reduction algorithm by the thread count of each colour - based on the premise that if one must eliminate a colour, it might as well be one that is used for only a handful of stitches as opposed to one making a big swath. I'd like to make Spriter competitive with other programs, but of course this is just a hobby of mine so the pace of development scales accordingly :grin:

Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
- sd.
pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:
http://www.theoryandwings.com/software/pixelcraft

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Hey Science Dad,

Do you know if spriter will work with Lion? I'm upgrading soon :D

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote:Hey Science Dad,

Do you know if spriter will work with Lion? I'm upgrading soon :D
It should work, as Lion will probably ship with Python 2.X and not Python 3. The latter could cause problems.
Then again, I have no idea how the upgrade would affect application bundle (Spriter.app) compatibility...

We'll just have to see, won't we? :grin:
- sd.
pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:

nintandrew
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by nintandrew »

Hello Science Dad, first I want to say that Spriter is awesome. I had used Photoshop to make up some sprites and had to hand pick out the colors I wanted because no program has matched my choices, which is a lengthy process. But! I put the sprites into Spriter and it chose the exact same colors I had, so thanks! One thing I noticed and thought about was if you didn't use the color names on each page and just used the color code, you could add 10 stitches maybe to the width, and then have the full names on the last page where they're all listed. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, great program!
Eyup

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

nintandrew wrote:Hello Science Dad, first I want to say that Spriter is awesome. I had used Photoshop to make up some sprites and had to hand pick out the colors I wanted because no program has matched my choices, which is a lengthy process. But! I put the sprites into Spriter and it chose the exact same colors I had, so thanks! One thing I noticed and thought about was if you didn't use the color names on each page and just used the color code, you could add 10 stitches maybe to the width, and then have the full names on the last page where they're all listed. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, great program!
Huh! That's a good idea - will do that for the next update.
I'm glad Spriter's working out for you :) Let me know if you run into any problems! I like getting the feedback :grin:
- sd

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Hey ScienceDad,

Hows it going? Is the new version of spriter coming along nicely? I was wondering the other day about possibly having a preview of the image at the end, and if you're doing a interface maybe just a simple click box to get it or not...
Just an idea.

LL

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote:Hey ScienceDad,

Hows it going? Is the new version of spriter coming along nicely? I was wondering the other day about possibly having a preview of the image at the end, and if you're doing a interface maybe just a simple click box to get it or not...
Just an idea.

LL
Actually, I've been pretty distracted designing sprites to turn into plastic canvas-based patches, which has had the productivity equivalent of "OOH! SHINY!". :grin:

So as far as coding goes, I haven't done very much except gotten a PyObjC template working in XCode (which wasn't trivial).
But yes, an image preview is something I'd conceived of incorporating into the end product.

Cheers,
- sd.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Hey Science Dad,
I was making patterns, and I cam across the name "Orange?Red" for colour 606, then it got me looking at the other colour names. Where did you get the names from? There is an official list for dmc colours, which don't match yours... (See attached)
Lord Libidan
Attachments
noms_couleursuk.pdf
(80.66 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote:Hey Science Dad,
I was making patterns, and I cam across the name "Orange?Red" for colour 606, then it got me looking at the other colour names. Where did you get the names from? There is an official list for dmc colours, which don't match yours... (See attached)
Lord Libidan
Hi LL! The names are those that came with the table that I grabbed from http://www.xstitchtreasures.com/DMCFloss-RGBvalues.html. I have no idea where they got those names from :-)

Yes, I've noticed the "Orange?Red" typo as well. I'm guessing it's some PC-to-Mac conversion issue. The "?" pops up in 3 colour names and I've done a search-and-replace in the source file (dmc2rgb.csv) to remove them. Will post.

Thanks for the official name list! Where did you get it from?
Cheers,
- sd

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Just on my many travels on the internet. :P Someone once talked about a colour name instead of number, so to find out what they were talking about, I had to look them up.