Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Re: Spriter - a chart generator for Mac

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote: Wow. You really did some work on it... a lot better.
The colour lists are a bit odd though. Have you thought about having a full list on its own page at the end, it would make things less confusing. and then you could have a larger section on each page for the pattern... (That's what KGchart does) I assume making it so only a set number of colours come up on that page and the rest on another is easy enough?
Thanks :D Well, I would like to have page-specific legends so that people don't have to flip back and forth between one page and another so often. But what I can do is trim down the legends to just the colour key without thread counts, and then have a table for an additional page(s) listing the complete colour list along with thread counts. How's that sound?
Lord Libidan wrote: EDIT:
The weird output. Worked it out. Its all down to dimensions. I'll explain with files so you can try it yourself. The original image works fine. Image 2, which is a slice of the original image comes up with the odd output. The previous images I've had problems with are also thin but long images. I don't know what the dimensions need to be to stop this yet, but its the same if its too wide with a thin height.
LL = beta tester supreme :clapping:
I'll work on reproducing the problem. But for now, I'm taking a little break from working on Spriter (barring any massive bug reports). Because if I go back to work after the long weekend and tell my colleagues that I spent much of my spare time coding, I'll get a lot of strange looks :grin:

cheers,
- sd.
pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:
http://www.theoryandwings.com/software/pixelcraft

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Ha! I'm just good at breaking stuff :D

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Minor update to version 0.3.1 beta :grin:

New features:
- now rendering 60 x 60 grid per page
- page-specific legend only shows DMC key for only colours that appear on that page, and does not show thread counts
- new legend page shows all DMC colours and thread counts in up to 3 columns, up to 24 colours each column (if you foresee using more than 72 colours, let me know!)

As usual, I'm replacing the zip file in first post of this thread with this Spriter update. If you want an older version please let me know!
- sd.
pixelcraft, a free and open-source web app for making craft patterns from sprites:

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Ok, finally got around to downloading and trying this out and wow! I really like it!

My one query is would it be possible to determine what size it would be? As in, say, I want to do 70x70 can I make it give it to me in those dimensions? For most projects I really won't have any issues with this, but it was just a thought as its one thing that is available in other programs. (And truth be told, the answer may be in this thread above me, but I'm too tired today to look)

Thanks a mil!

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Eliste wrote:Ok, finally got around to downloading and trying this out and wow! I really like it!

My one query is would it be possible to determine what size it would be? As in, say, I want to do 70x70 can I make it give it to me in those dimensions? For most projects I really won't have any issues with this, but it was just a thought as its one thing that is available in other programs. (And truth be told, the answer may be in this thread above me, but I'm too tired today to look)

Thanks a mil!
You're very welcome :grin:

I've thought about adding features such as re-scaling, but to be honest I'm really not keen on doing it. :sorry:
First, the whole motivation for me to write Spriter was to have a light-weight chart generator that was specific to doing sprite-related work, where one almost always wants a one-to-one ratio of pixel to stitch. Second, this would require more of an interface to the program than a simple drag and drop. I would have to have some sort of input for specifying the scaling factor. Third, as you say, there are plenty of other free programs for doing image editing that can handle scaling and much more!

cheers,
- sd.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

Well, I haven't been able to break this version. Well done :D

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote:Well, I haven't been able to break this version. Well done :D
Hey, that's great - thanks! :-)

What do you folks think about extending Spriter so that it can interpret GIFs, BMPs, as well as indexed PNGs?

I was also thinking about modifying the legend generator code so that it suggests more than one DMC thread colour, for two reasons:
(1) in the case of a tie or a candidate that is nearly as good a match, you might happen to have that runner-up thread handy and save yourself a trip to your local supplier;
(2) you might disagree with the best candidate according to Spriter and find that one of the suggested alternatives is a better match to the original colour.

- sd.

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

ScienceDad wrote:What do you folks think about extending Spriter so that it can interpret GIFs, BMPs, as well as indexed PNGs?
Well your principle for this was user friendly without the faff, so I think its a good idea.
ScienceDad wrote:I was also thinking about modifying the legend generator code so that it suggests more than one DMC thread colour, for two reasons:
(1) in the case of a tie or a candidate that is nearly as good a match, you might happen to have that runner-up thread handy and save yourself a trip to your local supplier;
(2) you might disagree with the best candidate according to Spriter and find that one of the suggested alternatives is a better match to the original colour.
This... not so much. :P It seems to be awfully complicated... And I'm not sure it would be useful as you might imagine...

ScienceDad
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by ScienceDad »

Lord Libidan wrote:
ScienceDad wrote:What do you folks think about extending Spriter so that it can interpret GIFs, BMPs, as well as indexed PNGs?
Well your principle for this was user friendly without the faff, so I think its a good idea.
Yeah, it would be nice to not have to check that the PNG is full colour palette. That's tripped me up a few times already.
Ok! I don't think this will be too difficult. Just need to incorporate a different image handling library.
Lord Libidan wrote:
ScienceDad wrote:I was also thinking about modifying the legend generator code so that it suggests more than one DMC thread colour, for two reasons:
This... not so much. :P It seems to be awfully complicated... And I'm not sure it would be useful as you might imagine...
Okay then :D I guess it would make the legend kind of cluttered. Thanks for the feedback!
- sd.

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

So... What would happen if you DID put in a picture that would use more than 72 colors?