Iridescent Aida?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Iridescent Aida?

Post by arkani »

Hi all! Looong time no see!
Question for those of you who've used it - what's it like? Does it catch? is it super sparkly or just a little? halps!

For those of you that don't know, I made a pattern ages ago of a little rainbow unicorn with swears underneath it. I decided to kit and sell it as the patterns were going out the door like hotcakes and I didn't have a job at the time - income! yay!
Lately it's been quite hard to source the materials (aida included!) for kits locally, so i'm looking into my options, and found this. It's a little lighter than I dye but it *is* sparkly.

Also, does it fray much? tell me it's secrets, if you know them! please! :D

I'm looking at this stuff atm. http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Products/14-C ... 19x21.aspx
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: Iridescent Aida?

Post by lcockitt »

I've got some oatmeal sparkly stuff that I've been using, and I've not had a problem with it. Have no idea where it's from/brand or anything though! Once you cross stitch over it, the sparkles don't come through much, but the background has a nice sparkle to it. It's not easy to photograph well though in my opinion - it looks much nicer in person than in pictures.

I'd say go for it. Who doesn't love sparkly stuff? Plus, unicorns + sparkles = magic
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

Clarington
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Clarington »

I second everything lockitt said.
I haven't used the specific one you're looking at, but I'm in love with the Crystal fabrics from Picture this Plus, which I think are a similar base fabric but then it's hand dyed.
I don't find the sparkle to be overwhelming - it's a magical sparkle rather than a gaudy sparkle. But it doesn't photograph at all.
I didn't notice any real difference working on the iridescent fabric rather than regular fabric. Just don't bother using it for anything densely stitched. It's all about letting the background shine through.
I'm gettin' bloggy: http://craftscapades.com/

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by arkani »

So I brought some! and some of the natural with gold fleck too :D
Seem to be decent prices - two pieces and shipping for under $30 of my colourful australian dollars lol
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon