Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Commission advice

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Malfore
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Commission advice

Post by Malfore »

I just got approached to do a commissioned cross stitch project and I'm trying to figure out how much to charge ( I've never given it much thought..). Id prefer to charge by the stitch, which would provide a firm estimate as well as make any production snags my problem (and to provide encouragement to get it done fast). I'm thinking of a rate of 2.5 cents per stitch, for a total of $250 for the 10,000 stitch project im anticipating. The client has agreed to roughly that rate, but I'm wondering if anyone has prior experience or thoughts on this. Any input helps!

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Commission advice

Post by blackmageheart »

I also charge by the stitch, with extra little charges for things like specialty material, lots of colours and stuff like that. Although I use pounds, so I'm not sure how my rates stack up against yours! I'm guessing it's a little more than my pennies, but not much. Honestly, if your client has agreed to the price you want to charge, then roll with it!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Malfore
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by Malfore »

The 2.5c/stitch would roughly convert to 1.7p/stitch ( assuming British pound). I haven't firmly set the price yet, is this a reasonable rate or am I low balling? I intend to do this less materials so this is purely a labor cost

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Yes, I do think that's a reasonable rate, especially if you're sticking to labour costs. As I said though - if the client is willing to pay it then it must be reasonable to them!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Jennuh
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Jennuh »

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm currently finding myself in the same boat. I've been approached A LOT over the past few weeks about commissions and it seems like it'd be great but it's really daunting to think about pricing and wanting to actually get customers. I know we will prolly never get our real labor costs out of this so I was thinking of charging 2cents a stitch but how much do you guys estimate for materials? Some projects don't use an entire skein of a color. Just trying to think about this logistically. I've had some people wanting a simple Pokemon Sprite keychain (about 397 stitches) and when I add up the values for the stitching alone it comes out to nearly $8 and that's not covering the canvas, thread, and keychain. I feel like it's such a small item and people would prolly not be willing to spend more than $10 on something like that. :( Looking on Etsy it seems most keychains are under $10. Siiiiigh. I wanna spread the love but I don't wanna shortchange myself.
Image Image Image

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Jennuh wrote:Siiiiigh. I wanna spread the love but I don't wanna shortchange myself.
It does seem difficult when you have to factor in so many different things, doesn't it? You're doing the right thing by seeing what other people charge for similar items. Would you, as a buyer, feel happy to pay that amount of money for someone's work? If so, then you should also feel happy to accept that amount for your own work. At the end, if it covers the cost of the materials and your time and a little extra, then that's all good. :)