Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Threads and threads and.... Threads?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Mishatu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Threads and threads and.... Threads?

Post by Mishatu »

I'm still trying to figure out some of the differences between threads, but I get so confused at times. I'm currently working with serger threads, for crocheting lovely lace. I have just started about thinking about making granny squares to make a pixelated image with multiple colors. The problem is, I don't think I have access to enough different colors of serger thread. What threads do you know of that have a similar feel or weight, but comes in lots of different colors? I'm thinking about just looking at the regular machine threads, but I don't know how that compares to the serger thread.

Thanks!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Threads and threads and.... Threads?

Post by Eliste »

I'm surprised you don't have enough colours. Serger thread is thinner thread than normal machine thread. It frays less, usually is a bit stronger, and should be available in a wide variety of colours. You could certainly give "normal" machine thread a go, but I'm not sure how/if it would work for what you're doing.

Having said that, if you're stuck, if you can find serger thread that isn't polyester or wool but cotton you could dye it. I'd look online first, though.

Mishatu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Mishatu »

Like I said, I don't "think" I have access to enough colors. Of course, embroidery floss comes in so many different colors that I may just be a mite spoiled xD

It does make me feel ether to know that serger thread is stronger than regular thread. Gives me hope that my projects can withstand a lot of abuse :3

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I'd really try to stick with the serger thread over standard thread. You can get "stronger" machine thread, but its usually thicker too, which is the opposite of serger thread, naturally. Also, serger thread you usually get wayyyy more than you would in a single thing of machine thread.

The thing is, serger thread is made to match fabric so it won't show, just like machine thread, so there really shouldn't be any issue with finding lots of colours. You may have to look around though.