Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Scroll Frame Stand

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Arimentha
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Scroll Frame Stand

Post by Arimentha »

I just started my first huge project (the Game of Thrones/Super Mario World map) and am using a scroll frame for the first time. I'm used to hoops, so it's a bit awkward using a scroll frame. I used to be able to cross stitch for a couple hours a night but with the frame, my arms get tired holding it. I'm think of looking into an inexpensive frame holder so I can do more stitching in the evening. Any suggestions?

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Scroll Frame Stand

Post by Eliste »

You're really looking at two different types of stands- lap stands and floor stands.

Floor stands will be expensive and need a lot of space. Lap stands will be less, but become more finicky to use because your weight shifts and then so does it. Having worked with both, they're both doable- but not if you have a large frame.

If your frame is large, lap stands just don't work IMO. There isn't enough space for the full frame and you to work. However, floor stands need a lot of space and I've found if you don't have a place specifically tailored to working on them that they're almost as much hassle as the lap stand.

I actually find that the best solution for me is to use the crook of my arm. Even owning the other two options, it just becomes easier. I have the lower limb of the frame in the crook of my arm, which actually means both my hands are relatively free to move about, and my arms don't get tired holding it because there's zero strain on my wrists. Your upper arm takes all the weight, which is usually no bother for most people. Otherwise I'd look into a floor stand if your frame is larger than 1 foot wide, a lap stand if its smaller.

EDITED TO ADD: If I had somewhere to dedicate my floor stand, I would use it. But I don't and putting it up/down every time is too much like hassle for me.

lpgeorge123
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by lpgeorge123 »

I have a lap stand and I love it. I agree that larger projects can be difficult to do with the stand, however I found a few ways to make it easier. Sometimes I'll put the lap stand on the highest setting and put the base underneath the couch cushion so it doesn't shift as much when I move around. When working with really wide patterns I'll prop up the far end with a pillow so it's easier to hold and more stable.

I found my lap stand on ebay. Their website was hard to find, but this is the one that I have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fCcsD9wPvo

Arimentha
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Arimentha »

Thanks for the replies! I tried holding the frame in the crook of my arm and it is easier to do it that way. I'm also stitching a lot faster that way (perhaps moreso than I did with a hoop)!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Arimentha wrote:Thanks for the replies! I tried holding the frame in the crook of my arm and it is easier to do it that way. I'm also stitching a lot faster that way (perhaps moreso than I did with a hoop)!
I find I stitch faster too. I think having the second hand free really makes a difference for me as I can help find where I'm going without having to stretch my hand too far, etc.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

I'm having some difficulty imagining holding it in the crook of one's arm. Could you possibly post a picture or illustration? I got a frame scroll super cheap on Craigslist, but I'm so use to hoops that it's a bit heavy for me, so I'm interested in ideas that don't involve a stand.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Scroll Frame Stand

Post by Eliste »

let me preface this by saying I'm right handed. Also that this was rather hard to get shots of and I'd appreciate you ignoring my pajamas. =P

This is my point of view as I stitch:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418514803.863966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418514803.863966.jpg (361.04 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Note in the left hand lower corner you can see my left arm has the frame in the crook of my arm. That's where all the weight of the frame sits.

This is what it looks like to those facing me:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418514908.955945.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418514908.955945.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
The frame is still sitting in the crook of my arm, which leaves my right hand completely free to take the photo or actual stitch.

As you can see, my left hand is on the back, but because it's not taking any weight or having to hold things still, I can shift it about the back to wherever I need it. The only parts that get difficult for it to reach are those close to my elbow that's holding the frame, but then I just use it to steady things.

Arm having moved:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418515066.949760.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418515066.949760.jpg (91.06 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Hope this helps!

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Kareesh »

That makes so much more sense than what I was envisioning (something closer to cuddling the frame...?). Maybe I'll have to break that sucker out when I do some of my bigger projects again. Thanks! :D
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

Livingdeadgirl
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Livingdeadgirl »

let me preface this by saying I'm right handed. Also that this was rather hard to get shots of and I'd appreciate you ignoring my pajamas. =P
this line...and every line after .... and the pictures are exactly how i stitch..pjs and all.

most comfy way to manage a big frame. now if i could just teach the man to stop standing in my light.....
---livingdeadgirl---

Batboard
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Batboard »

These legs came with a scroll I bought. I didn't even know it till I got home and was like, what's all this extra stuff..... :confused:
Spoiler
image.jpg
image.jpg (895.1 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
but I does work pretty good, especially when I stitch in bed. I did get a floor stand too.
Could have been a little higher. But I make it work. Tbh, I would just go all out and get one of those awesome stitching stations, with lamp holders and trays and are so big you can sit in recliner and it still fits over it.......I want one......but I use a scroll for everything but little stuff.