Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Traveling with Cross Stitch

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
Arimentha
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Traveling with Cross Stitch

Post by Arimentha »

Hey all! In February, I will be flying down to Disney World with my husband for our one year anniversary (we had our honeymoon there too!). I got back into cross stitching back in June after a ten year or so hiatus so I didn't have any cross stitch stuff with me on the honeymoon (I had crochet stuff). I was wondering if it was okay to take needles with me on the plane? I have seen conflicting things online so I thought I would as y'all! I have one of those pendant cutters so I won't be traveling with scissors, but I was just curious about the needles. Thanks!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Traveling with Cross Stitch

Post by Eliste »

Arimentha wrote:Hey all! In February, I will be flying down to Disney World with my husband for our one year anniversary (we had our honeymoon there too!). I got back into cross stitching back in June after a ten year or so hiatus so I didn't have any cross stitch stuff with me on the honeymoon (I had crochet stuff). I was wondering if it was okay to take needles with me on the plane? I have seen conflicting things online so I thought I would as y'all! I have one of those pendant cutters so I won't be traveling with scissors, but I was just curious about the needles. Thanks!
I travel with my cross stitch all the time. I regularly fly (usually once every two months at least), take my cross stitch or other embroidery with me on most trips, and I have never had a problem with needles. I do take some precautions, which might be why I haven't had a problem.

I never carry a full pack of needles. I do usually want more than one with me, but I stash them in various places. 1 in my project, 1 or 2 in a pack container, and sometimes if I'm really paranoid I'll pack a half-full pack in my check-in.

I've never been stopped and asked about them, but I try to only bring tapestry needles with me as when they are blunted I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

Arimentha
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Arimentha »

Thanks so much! I'm not going to be bringing an extremely large project with me (only 5 inches by 7 inches) so I probably will only have a couple needles at most. I will follow your advice and pack a couple in my checked luggage though to be safe!

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

No problem. Be prepared to explain what you're doing though! I always get asked by passengers, air stewardesses, and anyone else who happens to see me what it is I'm up to- not in a "throw her off the plane" kind of way, but a "what on earth are you making?" kinda way. I've had people walking down the aisle lean across the two people next to me to ask when I was sitting at the window!

I'm actually putting this a bit to the test this week. I'm taking a leather embroidery project with me when I head to Glasgow, I can't have blunted needles for it, and I will only have carry-on luggage. If I don't get stopped then, I'm taking it as "needles are a-ok" as a rule.

Arimentha
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Arimentha »

I'm fully prepared for questions! :D When I crocheted I was constantly asked questions in doctors' offices and anywhere with a waiting room. My mom as well. People would ask what we were making and then look at us in awe because of how fast we could crochet without looking XD

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

I have even travelled with my embroidery scissors, I just keep all my stuff in a ziplock bag so they know I'm not hiding anything.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

stitchingmama wrote:I have even travelled with my embroidery scissors, I just keep all my stuff in a ziplock bag so they know I'm not hiding anything.
I've tried that and got them taken off me. So long cute little scissors. I loved you so... I won't do that again.

I always go with one of those Clover thread cutters and have had no problems with those.

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

I've only flown within Canada so I think that's why I'm ok. At my local airport I don't even have to take my shoes off to get through security.
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

You should be fine with needles. I've been stopped because of scissors before but I think as long as the blade is less than 4", you're within the regulation and should be good to go.

blackberrybear
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by blackberrybear »

You could use nail clippers as an alternative to scissors for cutting thread. I prefer clippers even when I'm at home.