Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Starting up a cross stitch group

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Starting up a cross stitch group

Post by QueenBex »

So I just agreed to create and run a group/ club with the focus on cross stitch and possibly other stitchings.

Um, where do I start?
I think a little introduction would be good then take them through health and safety, fire points etc

But what of content?? What if there's absolute beginners?

Buh... :help:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Starting up a cross stitch group

Post by Eliste »

Pick what you want to do. Do you want it to be a teaching one? Stitch a long? Picking what you're going to "do" really gives you a lot of the answers to questions. Stitch-a-longs are great because everyone is doing something similar (make sure to give them freedom though!) and everyone will pull together.

If there are absolute beginners, that's cool. A lot of the time you can pair better stitchers with beginner stitchers for early stuff. You can always take the newbies for a crash course at the beginning while everyone else gets started. Prepare to have to do that so if it happens you're ready.

Beyond preparing what you'll do and a quick how-to, you should think about materials. Are you going to provide them all, make them pay for them, have them bring their own? This will also determine who you will get. You'll get more beginners if you're providing all materials, whereas with a BYOM you'll get a more experienced crowd.

To an extent, some of what you can and can't do will be determined by who ends up showing up, and that you won't know til the day!

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

A stitch-a-long would be good with the option of doing WIPs if they want. I'm hoping to provide some materials to get people started, I have a bit from my stash to spare and there's a chance I can get refunded for a bit of materials.

Preparing for a crash course is a good idea, do you think I should use a small count fabric for the newbies? Or would 16 count be alright?

Of course I'll be talking about spritestitch as much as I can ;)

The venue is sorted, with a small cafe there too (same place as my creative writing group, The Cornerstone)

I suppose anything else would be when the group has become more established, maybe one day we can do something for charity, ooo exciting! But no, relax, all in good time, small steps first :)

Thanks for the advice Eliste, definately have some good points to think about now :hug:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

QueenBex wrote:A stitch-a-long would be good with the option of doing WIPs if they want. I'm hoping to provide some materials to get people started, I have a bit from my stash to spare and there's a chance I can get refunded for a bit of materials.
Ok, just be sure you're ok with completely losing all of what you bring, even if you don't get anything back from it. Don't bring the "good scissors" or threads or anything. In the chaos you never know what will go away, and while its likely some may find its way back if people stick with the group, you should be prepared that things can go missing.

I would also definitely make sure you bring a pair of scissors for yourself that is attached to you. I realise a lot of people don't bother with this, but when you may be moving a lot, you will mislay them and you don't want to spend time running around looking for them. I learned this when I was working in a costume shop, and now my tailor tips are always on a ribbon around my neck because its just so much easier that way. It also means that if things go missing (see above) that you'll still have that one vital piece of kit.
QueenBex wrote:Preparing for a crash course is a good idea, do you think I should use a small count fabric for the newbies? Or would 16 count be alright?
16 count should be fine. Its big enough you can see the blocks, but isn't too daunting. I wouldn't go any larger count than 16. The important thing, I think, is that the cloth has good holes that are easy to see (so don't use black!). Bring extra needles too, and (even if you don't normally use them) at least one needle-threader.
QueenBex wrote:The venue is sorted, with a small cafe there too (same place as my creative writing group, The Cornerstone)
Nice. I like group meetings in cafes.
QueenBex wrote:I suppose anything else would be when the group has become more established, maybe one day we can do something for charity, ooo exciting! But no, relax, all in good time, small steps first :)
Haha, the charity thing does sound good.
QueenBex wrote:Thanks for the advice Eliste, definately have some good points to think about now :hug:
No problem. 90% of the success of the group is preparation beforehand I find. If you have enough tools, materials, and an action plan, most things will fall into place as long as people show up. (which they will, they always do)

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Eliste wrote:
QueenBex wrote:A stitch-a-long would be good with the option of doing WIPs if they want. I'm hoping to provide some materials to get people started, I have a bit from my stash to spare and there's a chance I can get refunded for a bit of materials.
Ok, just be sure you're ok with completely losing all of what you bring, even if you don't get anything back from it. Don't bring the "good scissors" or threads or anything. In the chaos you never know what will go away, and while its likely some may find its way back if people stick with the group, you should be prepared that things can go missing.

I would also definitely make sure you bring a pair of scissors for yourself that is attached to you. I realise a lot of people don't bother with this, but when you may be moving a lot, you will mislay them and you don't want to spend time running around looking for them. I learned this when I was working in a costume shop, and now my tailor tips are always on a ribbon around my neck because its just so much easier that way. It also means that if things go missing (see above) that you'll still have that one vital piece of kit.
Thats a jolly good point! Yes I believe I can work something out so it should be ok if everything disappears. Perhaps I'll make up a small essentials kit for myself to hang around my neck, great idea!

I'll be sure to keep you updated with everything that goes on! :)

Now to get planning!! :yahoo:

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Good luck with it!