Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

cosplay

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

cosplay

Post by QueenBex »

(just keeping my mind preoccupied, although my eye is being a git still, if poss can a mod correct the spelling mistakes for me, if not I shall do so at a later time)

Next year Cheltenham gets its very own comic convention called True Believers after they won their Kickstarter a couple of months back.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a cosplay. But I dunno. The only thing I can think of is Mouse Guard, probably the most difficult one for me to do as my first ever cosplay. I dislike Marvel and DC. I like Archaia, Boom Studios, Dark Horse and all that which makes it difficult. No simple cape and pants for me. I have been into Lumberjanes a lot, perhaps something from there?

Any ideas? And also any suggestions, tips etc? Where do I even start?
Last edited by blackmageheart on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your spellings Bex, no problem!
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: cosplay

Post by Remy »

Don't worry about your spelling. I doubt anyone minds considering you're under the weather.

How complex do you want to go? You don't have to pick from a comic. If you have a favorite anime, video game or movie character you could go with that. You could go as a Harry Potter character if you wanted. Do you have a sewing machine or will you be modifying store bought items by hand?

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I think it depends on what I want to go as. My brother suggested I get a simple mask and stick fur all over it for Mouse Guard.
I've got a sewing machine but I don't want it to be too complex for my first try, plus I'm still not very good in huge crowds so perhaps Lumberjanes would be a good choice I can dress up like one of them and still not be too eye catching if you know what I mean. I was kinda thinking of a Legend of Zelda possibility too...
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Remy »

Yeah I can relate with the crowd issue. I find wearing a full mask more comfortable in a crowd personally.

If you stick fur on a mask test the fur first to make sure you won't have an allergic reaction to it. A rash would probably ruin the whole experience for you.

Legend of Zelda would be fun too. Link's costume would be simple for the most part: tunic, triangle tapered hat and whatever accessories you wanted to do (sword, shield etc). Zelda's might be a bit more work depending on how you want to make the crown and jewelry.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

I was gonna suggest to my brother to go as the postman guy from LOZ and I'd go as link. But maybe that's one for next time.

Think I'll certainly have to decide what to go as before I can even begin contemplating the actual making of the costume...

Remy
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Remy »

I personally love doing group costumes. It's just more fun imo.

Yeah it probably would feel less overwhelming once you have chosen a character to focus on. Lumberjanes would probably be the best to go with as you'd be more comfortable and could 'test the waters' of the convention to see if it'll be enjoyable to do again. Just my opinion.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

Hmmm yeah...
Though the more I think about it the more I keep coming back to Mouse Guard. Perhaps I can have a go at making a mask and decide closer to the time.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, to those who know me?

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

I think the first thing you need to do is decide "How much" you want to cosplay.

Basically, how much do you want people to think Mouse Guard, and how much do you want people to see you? The reason is because how you construct your costume really changes depending on which of those you go for. For example, there are the Totoro's out there that are full costume and then there's the Totoro dress version. Both of them are awesome as far as I and the cosplay world are considered as you can tell the character and the passion behind them. There's also the somewhere in between where you use makeup and prosthetics to make your face into the character's that is a possibility too. So you need to decide how much is going to be you, and how much is going to be character.

For Mouse Guard, people are probably not going to recognise the character. They should get that you're being a mouse, but not where from. That's ok. Being original and obscure with your cosplay is actually a good thing IMO.

Next you need to decide what you need to build. Are you going for a fur suit, or are you just going for some fur around edges? Would one of those kigurumi one piece outfits work for your purposes? How big do you want your tail? Does your mouse wear clothes, and which ones? I'd recommend either drawing your mouse out, or choosing one from the books that you like the look of and identifying each item that you think is necessary to make that character come alive.

You might find that mouse ears & makeup plus a tail is all you really need to convey the mouse part. Or you might decide to go full fur costume that will require clothes bigger than you own to go over it. Make the basic decisions on the costume pieces early so you can start on one item at a time. Then do that- one item at a time. Google about how to make similar items to what you're doing- you will find tons of options out there.

If you haven't sewn before, I'd suggest finding yourself some classes to take. A lot of classes I know will allow you to choose what you are making as you learn, so you can make your cosplay while you take the classes.

Last, but not least, you can consider commissioning pieces, or even the whole thing. Its up to you. But if you want someone to make what you want, you'll need to have made a lot of the above decisions so you can explain exactly what you need/want to the person who's doing it.