Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

What was your most-expensive cross-stitching project?

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
nozomi
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

What was your most-expensive cross-stitching project?

Post by nozomi »

It's a big wish of mine to cross-stitch St. Basil's Cathedral. I stumbled across that pattern in a cross-stitching magazine ad, googled it, and found the exact one I was looking for BUT it's £47.00, plus s&h because I live in the States, which is over ~$77! To me, that is insane. I've spent $25 on Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery patterns, and browsing patterns at the local stitchery shop, I stumbled across one that came with the glittery threads and beads but no fabric for $50, (the price I fortunately noticed before taking it to the counter), so I reckoned many elaborate, original patterns tend to be costly. I guess I'm so used to free video game patterns that I don't know what to expect regarding the normal pricing of patterns.

The price breaks my heart, I love St. Basil's Cathedral...

Anyway, I was wondering what your most expensive cross-stitching project was, because of an elaborate pattern or expensive, hand-dyed, opalescent aida, etc. (And pictures/links too, if it's no trouble. I'd like to see them!)
Nozomi.

Mishatu
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Re: What was your most-expensive cross-stitching project?

Post by Mishatu »

I'm working on the giant all generations Pokemon stitch, and the supplies alone are a fortune! I've dropped at least $100, if not $200 and I don't even think I have everything I need yet. I'd add a picture, but I haven't had too much time to work on it xD

Ally
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Ally »

I shy away from kits, mostly because I loathe the way most don't label the colours! Drives me absolutely insane, and is the reason why I never continued with my Disney Dreams Bambi kit.

I think cross stitching in general is a pretty expensive hobby. It never looks like it's going to cost much but everything adds up and BAM! I've spent $60 on thread alone! Overall, my most expensive project has been the Epic Pokemon Gen I. So far its set me back about $100.
Last edited by Ally on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Lol projects? What are projects?

Follow me on Tumblr: http://ally147writes.tumblr.com/

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Nozomi, have you talked to some of our British forum-goers here? I bet one of them would be more than willing to help you out (at least it would save on shipping, most likely because companies like to overcharge on shipping because...well, they can lol). I know one or two of them talked about helping others of us by ordering things and having them shipped to them and then shipping them separately to us "Yanks". lol

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

I noticed that 123 Stitch has a kit for the St. Basil's Cathedral...it is a little over $50, but it includes fabric. I've ordered from them before and like them. Have you checked Amazon?

I'm not sure how expensive my most expensive project has been...but picking up DMC at Hobby Lobby for 2 projects all at once was over $50...I think I got 70 or 80 skeins!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

nozomi
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by nozomi »

The Pokemon generations, what a project. Good luck!
MeiTow wrote:Nozomi, have you talked to some of our British forum-goers here? I bet one of them would be more than willing to help you out (at least it would save on shipping, most likely because companies like to overcharge on shipping because...well, they can lol). I know one or two of them talked about helping others of us by ordering things and having them shipped to them and then shipping them separately to us "Yanks". lol
I wonder, but to be honest, I'm slightly hesitant because I'm still a very new member. I think I will wait on the cross-stitch...for now. [:
Firehawke wrote:I noticed that 123 Stitch has a kit for the St. Basil's Cathedral...it is a little over $50, but it includes fabric. I've ordered from them before and like them. Have you checked Amazon?

I'm not sure how expensive my most expensive project has been...but picking up DMC at Hobby Lobby for 2 projects all at once was over $50...I think I got 70 or 80 skeins!
I checked 123 Stitch, and the St. Basil's pattern they have isn't the exact same one I want. /: Amazon has the same pattern though, but the $77 price is the same as well. One day, I will treat myself. :D That day isn't today, though. xD I'm glad to hear that you recommend 123 Stitch though. I put in my first order with them today.

And wow, I've never bought that many at once. Were they all for a particular pattern?
Nozomi.

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

The most expensive kit I've bought was about $55, I think. But to complete a project, my most expensive has probably been about $300, once the framing is all done. And that one I gave to my sister who has shoved it in her basement basically behind a cabinet. I kind of want to go take it from her. That thing took me 5 years to finish and she doesn't seem to even like it!

Philpepe
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Philpepe »

Yurtle wrote:The most expensive kit I've bought was about $55, I think. But to complete a project, my most expensive has probably been about $300, once the framing is all done. And that one I gave to my sister who has shoved it in her basement basically behind a cabinet. I kind of want to go take it from her. That thing took me 5 years to finish and she doesn't seem to even like it!
That's one reason I rarely give anyone cross stitch as a gift unless I'm absolutely certain that it is something they will enjoy. As for my most expensive kit, I didn't actually buy it, but got it as a gift last year and still haven't started it!

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/sil ... it-204495/
Current Projects: Crocheting stuff, writing letters, cross stitching stuff oh, and making beer!

The Needle Artist
My Deviantart

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

At the time or at least 5 years prior when I started it, she did want it. Now...oh well. I've started giving knitted gifts more so than cross-stitched. Faster and often larger and sometimes cuter. And usually cheaper, depending on the wool.

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

It was for two different projects (both are very detailed)....they both came as kits, but I prefer to get all new DMC for projects, just in case I ever need to get more. I compared the thread in one kit to the DMC color card I have...and then as I was getting ready to work on the other one, I discovered a site that has various thread lists and kit makers threads and their DMC equivelents...talk about accuracy & a time saver!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson