Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Duck Cloth

Forum and Craft Related Topics...
MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Duck Cloth

Post by MeiTow »

Has anyone used it? Is it like Aida or linen? I'm thinking of getting some of this: http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Cloth-9-10-J ... s+Thompson for a project but I've only ever used Aida to cross stitch.

Kareesh
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Re: Duck Cloth

Post by Kareesh »

I can honestly say I've never heard of the stuff. It looks a lot like Aida, though. Interested to see if anyone has any experience with it.
~*~Shiloh's Stitches on Etsy~*~*~My Cooking Blog~*~

June List
- Finish Little Nemo square
- Frame Weather Graph
- Sprite Stitch SAL
- Finish Grandmother's sign

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

I don't think it's meant for needlework; it calls it heavyweight, so I picture something like a rough paint canvas rather than cloth with holes to stitch in.

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I wouldn't reccomend it for counted projects, or even embroidery unless you enjoy fighting fabric. I use it mostly for dog toys, its thick and holds up pretty well and the threads seem pretty dense.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Siva wrote:I wouldn't reccomend it for counted projects, or even embroidery unless you enjoy fighting fabric. I use it mostly for dog toys, its thick and holds up pretty well and the threads seem pretty dense.
Oh, is it that canvas that retrieving toys for bird dogs are made from?
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

Aaah. Thank you everybody. :)

I guess I'll stick with aida. :D The color's nice though.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I was just in Joann's today and saw some duck cloth in the remnants bin. Yeah, if I was gonna stitch on it, I'd probably use waste canvas and a carbon-fiber needle.

lcockitt
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by lcockitt »

I've just searched 'carbon-fibre needles' - this sounds really stupid, but I didn't know they existed! The company I work for sells carbon fibre yarn, and I've never seen the needles before... Brushes, yes, needles no. Very tempted to get some carbon fibre knitting needles now and see how they compare to my current ones! You learn something new everyday, thanks RMDC!
Currently attempting: Epic Pokemon Cross Stitch Gen I, M'aiq the Liar
Knitting - Fusion in Paris

Don't judge me - blogging about allsorts https://dontjudgemebut.wordpress.com/

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

lcockitt wrote:I've just searched 'carbon-fibre needles' - this sounds really stupid, but I didn't know they existed! The company I work for sells carbon fibre yarn, and I've never seen the needles before... Brushes, yes, needles no. Very tempted to get some carbon fibre knitting needles now and see how they compare to my current ones! You learn something new everyday, thanks RMDC!
Holy crap, I was totally making them up. I thought to myself, "What's the most expensive and ridiculous material to make needles from in order to withstand the most extreme sewing conditions such as space and dinosaur battles?" It was a toss-up between carbon fiber and adamantium. I'm a little terrified that CF needles are a real thing. Now I'm super-scared that if I search for "adamantium sewing needles" there'll be an eight-pack on Amazon.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Pyper »

Well, apparently you can get gold, platinum and titanium coated needles.No diamond tips though.
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/