Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Dr Who Exploding Tardis

all non-video game related pattern requests...
slrosenbaum
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Re: Dr Who Exploding Tardis

Post by slrosenbaum »

Good points Pyper! Thanks!

Elle
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Elle »

I was wondering if someone could convert the second (smaller) pattern into a KG-Chart file? Or if someone could tell me how to do that, it would be great. I'm thinking of tackling this once I finish my mario map. I can use the pdf, but the sth works much much better for me =)

power_walker
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by power_walker »

Hello there, just a quick question regarding the Van Gogh Exploding TARDIS pattern you guys have posted here (and you have some *amazing* patterns here, you guys should be incredibly proud!).

Are all the stitches in that pattern full? I've watched my wife do some x-stitch and in some of the patterns she just puts the "/" of the whole "X". Also I've never cross stitched in my life, would I be biting off more than I can chew for my first ever cross stitch?

Thanks guys

slrosenbaum
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by slrosenbaum »

I would assume that they are all full stitches. Usually when someone uses a program to create their own pattern, it's full stitches. Plus, with it being a rectangle, you're not gonna have any shaping to worry about.

This is quite an undertaking for your first project, but having a wife who stitches may help with your motivation. Just make sure you do the smaller pattern :-)

power_walker
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by power_walker »

Great! Thanks for the response! The wife said she'd be happy to help me through it and thinks it's cute that I want to do it.

As far as the 3-4 digit color codes of the thread, (I know I can ask her this, but while I have your ear) is that a universal color code? (So if I go from Brand X thread to Brand Y, for color 557, i'll get the same color 557 or close approximation, not like 557 with brand X is blue while brand Y 557 is pink?

This may be a question I should search for (and will as soon as I post this) but what programs do people use to create the patterns?

Also wik: would you people suggest this be done on white or some other color (the wife says aida is my best bet for my first)?

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

power_walker wrote:Great! Thanks for the response! The wife said she'd be happy to help me through it and thinks it's cute that I want to do it.

As far as the 3-4 digit color codes of the thread, (I know I can ask her this, but while I have your ear) is that a universal color code? (So if I go from Brand X thread to Brand Y, for color 557, i'll get the same color 557 or close approximation, not like 557 with brand X is blue while brand Y 557 is pink?

This may be a question I should search for (and will as soon as I post this) but what programs do people use to create the patterns?

Also wik: would you people suggest this be done on white or some other color (the wife says aida is my best bet for my first)?
slrosenbaum wrote:I would assume that they are all full stitches. Usually when someone uses a program to create their own pattern, it's full stitches. Plus, with it being a rectangle, you're not gonna have any shaping to worry about.

This is quite an undertaking for your first project, but having a wife who stitches may help with your motivation. Just make sure you do the smaller pattern :-)
I created both of these patterns, as requests. They are indeed full squares. I used KG Chart to create the patterns, which is a free online program. There is not a universal color code. The numbers listed for the pattern are DMC colors. There are color conversion charts. Here is where you can find one, along with some other helpful info.
You should definitely use Aida! Since it's your first project, I would recommend using a light color and a lower number, like 14 or 16 count ( that's the number of stitches per inch.) There's a lot more helpful information in the Techniques and Guides section. First read the stickied guides at the top. I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any more questions! :)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

Elle wrote:I was wondering if someone could convert the second (smaller) pattern into a KG-Chart file? Or if someone could tell me how to do that, it would be great. I'm thinking of tackling this once I finish my mario map. I can use the pdf, but the sth works much much better for me =)
I'm sorry Elle; I just saw this. I checked my other computer, the one I used to make the patterns, and for some reason I only have the larger pattern saved in KG Chart. I have no idea why. I'm not aware of any way to convert a pdf to kg chart, without just importing the original pic into KG at the size that the pdf is, but I don't think you could even guarantee the correct result. I'm sorry.
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

slrosenbaum
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by slrosenbaum »

starrley wrote:
power_walker wrote:Great! Thanks for the response! The wife said she'd be happy to help me through it and thinks it's cute that I want to do it.

slrosenbaum wrote:I would assume that they are all full stitches. Usually when someone uses a program to create their own pattern, it's full stitches. Plus, with it being a rectangle, you're not gonna have any shaping to worry about.

I created both of these patterns, as requests. They are indeed full squares. I used KG Chart to create the patterns, which is a free online program. There is not a universal color code. The numbers listed for the pattern are DMC colors. There are color conversion charts. Here is where you can find one, along with some other helpful info.
You should definitely use Aida! Since it's your first project, I would recommend using a light color and a lower number, like 14 or 16 count ( that's the number of stitches per inch.) There's a lot more helpful information in the Techniques and Guides section. First read the stickied guides at the top. I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any more questions! :)
Yup. Pretty much everything said above. KG Chart is a very simple to use program that I really like using, as do a lot of stitchers I know. As far as the thread goes, I highly recommend using DMC. They're like the standard. While other ones are out there and available, you'll be able to find DMC at any craft store, and some Walmarts. And since pretty much all cross stitch patterns list DMC numbers, you'll have some colors to possibly use with the next project if you find you enjoy this. I too recommend using a light colored Aida in 14 or 16 count. Since this is a large pattern with lots of symbols, I recommend using a highlighter and marking where you are on your pattern. It'll help you to remember where you are and you'll have an easier time getting through it with less frogging. I know some people don't do that, but I prefer it. Some people also block out their fabric in 10x10 squares with a light colored thread to help with counting. I don't do this, but its something else to try.

The point, and GREAT thing about cross stitch, is there are so many different ways people do things and they all result in a beautiful piece of art. Have fun! Can't wait to see the finished result!

drdenman
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by drdenman »

Instead of light coloured thread for blocking, I like to use a magic marker. They're markers that draw well on fabric and the ink disappears when you get it wet. You can buy them at most craft stores. I've worked with blocking and without blocking, blocking takes a little bit of time investment but definitely makes life easier. I definitely advise it for newbies.

power_walker
Rank 0 - Little Mario
Rank 0 - Little Mario

Post by power_walker »

Well, started this last night with some aid of my loving wife. As it is my first attempt at cross stitch it's slow going, after getting the threads and fabric@joanns then her showing me how to separate the floss and find the center of the fabric, I only got a couple dozen stitches in and they're all really light colored so I feel like I'm going blind, but I will do this and it'll be (to quote the Doctor) "fantastic"!