Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Huge request - Sailor Moon

all non-video game related pattern requests...
Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Huge request - Sailor Moon

Post by Sheepish »

I'm... kinda thinking of doing an epic project. Like really huge. Here's the image:
sailor_moon_by_nako_75-d3gj8gj.jpg
sailor_moon_by_nako_75-d3gj8gj.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 8943 times
Obviously the finished product will have to be pretty big to keep the detail, and I imagine there will be a lot of different colors. I don't have specifics, I trust the pattern makers of here to use their best judgement on making it look good. I'd do it on white fabric, so a lot of white background will just be unstitched.

If anyone is willing to give this big image a try, I'd be really grateful. Gulp, then I'll just have to take the next million years to stitch this thing.

Thanks.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Huge request - Sailor Moon

Post by RMDC »

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

If anyone makes this, it will be EPIC, and I will totally be pulling out specific parts of the pattern (like the Starlights and the Outers) to stitch on their own.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

I was gonna try my hand at it but I found that to keep the details I would have to separate it into 3-4 different patterns for it. I thought I might be better off letting one of the more experienced pattern makers (possibly BMH?) take a crack at it. :blush:
WIPs:
LoZ:LTTP Map (page 13 of 15)
Save the Stitches Blackwork
Frederick the Literate Kit
Butterfly Scroll Kit
Rainbow Gallery's Specialty Stitch Alphabet

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

I ran it through PCStitch for giggles, at 1/3ish of the original size. 1380 stitches in length, and on 18ct that is over 76 inches! That's beyond epic! But, reducing it to less than 30% is when there starts to be too much detail loss, in my opinion.

So...I think what needs to be thought about first, before any patterns, is material - the count obviously makes a difference to the physical size. And your wallet! XD
Also, how much detail are you willing to sacrifice?
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Or consider breaking it up into vignettes.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

I want to keep as much detail as possible. I anticipated having to special order a large piece of aida, if that is possible. And yeah, I figured it would be... really big.

I think it would be awesome to display in a wall scroll fashion. I've found a place with 20 ct aida custom cut so I may go with that...

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

Well, I looked over the picture again to see if there was a way I could turn it into a pattern for you. After doing some figuring, I have chosen a method to do this. I will be splitting up the picture into roughly 20 different part (it's actually 25 but the last row is just white which I didn't feel necessary to turn into a pattern). I've attached the original picture with the layout of where the patterns are supposed to go. At the far right edge you will see a strip that has no lettering on it. I did not include this section in the patterns. Sections Q and T I will not be posting as patterns as they are strictly the white background.
Spoiler
Epic Sailor Moon Pattern Layout.jpg
Epic Sailor Moon Pattern Layout.jpg (553.93 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
I've reduced the picture to 730 x 2069 pixels, with each pixel being one stitch. This should make the total size of the piece on 20ct fabric roughly 36.5in x 103.45in. I will slowly be working on this and posting each section in both KG-Chart and PDF form as I finish them.

Hopefully this isn't TOO epic for people.
WIPs:
Butterfly Scroll Kit

Sheepish
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by Sheepish »

That's pretty clever... and sooo big! BUT I knew that's what I was getting myself into, lol

liliktty
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by liliktty »

This is going to be huge. It's a pretty awesome idea though. Love the picture.
Current Project: Madoka
Side Projects: Woodland Sampler, Desert Sampler

Knittenkitten
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by Knittenkitten »

Here's part A. I would recommend by your fabric larger than the size that I stated so that you have some room to play with. I would also recommend gridding out each section so that there won't be a lot of mistakes as there is a lot of background in this section that does not get worked.
Epic Sailor Moon Part A.sth
(53.91 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
ESM Part A.pdf
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 664 times
Last edited by Knittenkitten on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WIPs:
Butterfly Scroll Kit