Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

NOV/DEC Challenge - Lesser Fantastical Creatures

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

NOV/DEC Challenge - Lesser Fantastical Creatures

Post by blackmageheart »

Thanks, Random Thing Picker, I can handle it from here.

There are many creatures and demons of myth and legend featured in games. Some are incredibly well known, but how about those that are not? As my good friend MeiTow put it, "what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.?"
I'd like for you to pick out a creature, craft it, and show it here. If you like, you can include a little bit of myth or legend just for fun and interest ;)

All crafts welcome as ever and please feel free to submit as many entries as you like! Challenge ends on 31st December. Have fun! :clapping:
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: NOV/DEC Challenge - Lesser Fantastical Creatures

Post by MeiTow »

Oooo! I feel compelled to enter this one. :D

Working on a pattern right now. :D

donnamevans
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by donnamevans »

This looks fun! I'd like to make something a little different as a challenge! I'll see what fabrics I've got lying around!

Siva
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Siva »

I think I'l have to enter this too. I'm gonna have a hard time picking a creature though, there are so many to choose from!

BooChocoBoom
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by BooChocoBoom »

I am excited and already have a couple of ideas. First, though, to finish swap items!
Current projects:
Leftover swap gifts
HP House Scarves
Secret of Mana charity square
Vid game advent calendar

PinkPoodle
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by PinkPoodle »

Hmm. I'm trying to think of things, but all the things I can think of are fairly well known. I was thinking maybe a nug from Dragon Age, but then I remembered that Bioware sells a plush nug so they're well known. I'll have to put my thinking cap on.
Currently working on:
Tiki Room Cross Stitch
Large Skyrim Perler project
A quilt I really need to finish

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

How non - well known do they have to be? What about lesser known Pokemon, like dunsparce for instance? Obviously starters and pikachu are out. What about well known creatures from lesser known games? Squirt from Bastion for example?
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

What we are really looking for here is lesser known creatures that make an appearance in a game or games. For example, I might want to look for a will-o'-wisp and I would find a sprite with that name from Shining Force on GBA. Or, I could look for something like Litwick, Lampent or Chandelure, which are kinda based on the Japanese hitodama. Does that make any sense? (I'm not sure it does to me!)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

blackmageheart wrote:What we are really looking for here is lesser known creatures that make an appearance in a game or games.
Oooo...I'll have to switch gears then. I started a, somewhat, massive project on an actual lesser known fantastical creature. I doubt it's been in any game. lol I was going to do a smaller piece that is from a game so I'll go ahead and do that first and continue on the bigger project after.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

MeiTow wrote:I doubt it's been in any game. lol
You never know! I once saw a monster from my specific area of England called the Lambton Worm (or Wyrm, whatevs) in a game. I think it was Shadow Hearts II. It's not a well known legend outside of my area, so it was kind of a surprise to see it as a regular ol' mob!