Challenge Themes and Stuff

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
User avatar
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 am
Location: Cheltenham, UK

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby QueenBex » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 am

HornyPig wrote:im pretty new here so i'm not sure if its a valid ideia for a challenge, but;
what about crossovers?
characters from different games trying to interact somehow, like a gengar chasing the pac man or something like that.


Ooo I like this idea! :good:
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

User avatar
MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby MeiTow » Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 pm

How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.

Pyper
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:31 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby Pyper » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:08 am

That is a really cool idea :)
WIPS: Dwarf Fortress blanket, sailing ship stitch, shiny pokemon, moth bags
Blog: http://strangenessisconserved.wordpress.com/

User avatar
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 am
Location: Cheltenham, UK

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby QueenBex » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 am

MeiTow wrote:How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.


YES.
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

User avatar
blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Posts: 5585
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am
Location: Durham, UK
Contact:

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby blackmageheart » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 pm

QueenBex wrote:
MeiTow wrote:How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.


YES.

HOLY CRAP YES

I can not only do UK, but I actually have a local monster legend! :D

Consider this one added to the list!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Batboard wrote:Your relationship between combustible engines and the 16 Olympics has to be the best ad campaign I've seen in years. Do you accept locks of hair or Paypal...

User avatar
MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby MeiTow » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:06 pm

OOooooo BMH! That sounds cool! As a lover of mythology, folklore, and cryptozoology I'm always interested in stories! I don't know if limiting it to stitcher's country would be too prohibitive (I guess it depends on where everyone is from; ie a disproportionate number of people in one area might end being counterproductive). Maybe just your favorite one in general would be good enough (maybe I'm just biased as my two favorite lesser known fantastical creatures are both from the U.K. tee hee). This way we could, potentially, get some from various areas that we wouldn't be able to normally (for example, I only one or two of us living in Japan right now but there might be more that are interested in Japanese culture and their demons).

User avatar
Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby Eliste » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 am

MeiTow wrote:OOooooo BMH! That sounds cool! As a lover of mythology, folklore, and cryptozoology I'm always interested in stories! I don't know if limiting it to stitcher's country would be too prohibitive (I guess it depends on where everyone is from; ie a disproportionate number of people in one area might end being counterproductive). Maybe just your favorite one in general would be good enough (maybe I'm just biased as my two favorite lesser known fantastical creatures are both from the U.K. tee hee). This way we could, potentially, get some from various areas that we wouldn't be able to normally (for example, I only one or two of us living in Japan right now but there might be more that are interested in Japanese culture and their demons).


I'm with MeiTow on this one. I'm not especially thrilled with my adopted country's random things, but I have a lot of love of mythology and folklore that I'd love to do. Maybe just make it a "you have to explain your choice and its mythology" would still give the same effect. Then you get to learn, but allows folks more choice.
Image

User avatar
blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Posts: 5585
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am
Location: Durham, UK
Contact:

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby blackmageheart » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:45 am

Eliste wrote:Maybe just make it a "you have to explain your choice and its mythology" would still give the same effect.

Agreed!
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Batboard wrote:Your relationship between combustible engines and the 16 Olympics has to be the best ad campaign I've seen in years. Do you accept locks of hair or Paypal...

glitch
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby glitch » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:42 am

MeiTow wrote:How about lesser fantastical creatures? We just did dragons, which EVERYBODY knows...but what about those lesser known fantasy creatures like selkies, brownies, kelpies, lesser well-known Japanese demons (we all know Tanooki but what about all the others?), etc.? Might be a cool idea to do something like this. We could make it even more challenging and limit the creature to the stitcher's area of the world (the U.K.ers pick from their myriad of creatures, Aussies can do their creatures, Americans do theirs, etc). When you post your entries you could post a little about the creature so others can learn about them (regardless of whether or not the restriction of your country only is enforced). I think this would be a really cool way to learn about the cultures of the folks that inhabit this bit of the Interwebs.


This! Want to do this. I've had ideas bouncing around in my head for something like this but with funky colors.
I live under a rock, where it's nice and cool.

User avatar
starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Postby starrley » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, I'm in Texas, so the only local folklore I can think of is the Chupacabra (goat sucker.) I don't think I would want to stitch him, LOL. :)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

Return to “Sprite Stitch Challenges!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests