Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Challenge Themes and Stuff

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Re: Challenge Themes and Stuff

Post by QueenBex »

Thats a good idea, I really enjoyed making LOZ items with fimo last year, a challenge like that would be good!
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Lord Libidan wrote: So how about 'physical objects'?
I like this idea! I also have a project in mind already lol.

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

I was playing Etrian Odssey IV and was squeeing over the Big Rollers and the Ghost Owls and thought "cute" enemies/bad guys would be a fun challenge.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Been updating my first post with the ideas and stuff that I'm working on.

Just a quick thought, while I've been reviewing the challenges and how I can improve things.

Would people still be interested in the big and mini swaps as separate things? I've been considering merging them, making it a little bit longer and moving it to a different part of the year. It might make it easier for people to make things and get them sent off in a timely fashion. It would also be a lot easier to manage on my end. I'd still be running challenges and things at the same time for those people not into swaps. How would people feel about that?
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

Lord Libidan
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Lord Libidan »

I personally like the idea of separating them. Its always annoyed me when challenges stop for a few months when we do swaps. Even when I'm part of the swaps. :P

stitchingmama
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by stitchingmama »

I understand that one swap per year would be more manageable but the mini-swap let noobs test the waters before committing to something so large. At the same time the forum is awesome so I think everyone would eventually feel brave enough to join the "Bigger & Better MEGA-swap" (tm goes to stitchingmama).
"I need to feel your cross stitch. Feels like 8-bit" - my three year old

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

I think we can run them concurrently - have a single, two-tiered swap once a year. When you sign up, you specify if you're in the mini tier or the mega tier. It only adds one step to the bookkeeping; it condenses the swaps to one time period; it preserves the separate levels of engagement.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

RMDC wrote:I think we can run them concurrently - have a single, two-tiered swap once a year. When you sign up, you specify if you're in the mini tier or the mega tier. It only adds one step to the bookkeeping; it condenses the swaps to one time period; it preserves the separate levels of engagement.
Genius! This actually solves nearly all of my swap-based problems. Thank you!

Right, so there will still be two swaps, they'll just be happening at the same time. I like it. Meanwhile there'll still be challenges, because...
Lord Libidan wrote:Its always annoyed me when challenges stop for a few months when we do swaps. Even when I'm part of the swaps.
...this also annoys me.

The other advantage of having them run concurrently is that I can adjust the challenge calendar to fit in other things, such as stitch-a-longs and maybe revisits of old themes, etc. A little more variety! ;)
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

blackmageheart wrote:stitch-a-longs and maybe revisits of old themes, etc. A little more variety! ;)
I heartily endorse both of these (and variety in general). :nod
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

HornyPig
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by HornyPig »

im pretty new here so i'm not sure if its a valid ideia for a challenge, but;
what about crossovers?
characters from different games trying to interact somehow, like a gengar chasing the pac man or something like that.