54%

Total votes: 28

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

How should we sell the second quilt?

Post by tnitnetny »

Take a look at the options above and pick one. A few notes on each:

Sell on Ebay - This is what we did last year. We raised only $202.50. Because it was a Sprite Stitch member (and quilt contributor) that won it, she also made an additional donation to Child's Play.

Random Drawing - The way this would work is how I have seen many other ticket auctions work. I would set up a donation button somewhere (with the help of someone techy) that would put all of the money into a paypal or other account. Everyone that donates would receive a number (or set of numbers) sent by me. I would have a live drawing streamed at a set time that would determine the winner. I have seen this happen many times for charities and it seems to work well.

Live Auction - I am going to be the charity coordinator for the DC Comic Con in April 2014. I would be able to enter this quilt into either a silent auction or charity auction (we can hammer out details later) to show the quilt live and auction it off. We all know those squares look so nice in person .

Combination Silent Auction/Live Auction - We would have a silent auction (through emails to me) before the live auction. This would determine the starting price of the live auction and if the quilt doesn't sell at the live auction the person with the highest bid for the silent auction would win the quilt. This way people not attending the auction could have a chance to bid and win the quilt.

As a reminder, the second quilt will be used for one of these.

arkani
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Re: How should we sell the second quilt?

Post by arkani »

Hmm, I think I like the idea of the combo silent/live auction best, though the purely live auction would probably be easier.

Thoughts On the raffle/random drawing option:
Because I am not knowledgeable in these things, (and will probably word this badly) but does Child's Play have some sort of auction or sale format that we could use, especially if it's on their site? My thinking is that they'd have people who would be knowledgeable in these silent auction things, and would be able to contact everyone on their (i'm guessing huge) contact list, about this. The only big thing about that would be the shipping, unless x amount was set aside to cover that.
Working on:
Retro X & Y! - lost the pattern and fabric, but it's resurfaced :D ...and i've lost it again lol
Attempting Diamond Painting
Making like three crochet blankets at once #nolife
slowly amassing floss for the old-style Epic Pokemon

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

I talked to Jamie about that last year. Child's Play officially endorses Ebay by selling items because it can be set up where the money goes directly to the charity. That being said, they do not keep a list of contributors for things like this. They hold events through the year and advertise the on their site. They don't contact anyone to let them know of things like this.

So if we did a silent auction/raffle, it would be all on us.

Yurtle
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by Yurtle »

And the one problem with the Ebay option that we encountered last year was that it didn't allow people outside of the US to bid on it. I was a bit disappointed about that. Not sure if that part has changed.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Yup, that is still a problem. That is why I am not excited about the selling online option.

icedragonj
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by icedragonj »

I think it would be best to make it avaliable world wide. Ebay does allow for international bidding, just not on the charity certified things? However we end up selling it I think we should all try to get the word out a bit more to help potential buyers hear about it, post on our facebooks, tweet it or whatever.
I am known across campus as "The girl who knits in lectures"

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

Wow. So it looks like we are going to sell it by a combined silent auction and live auction.

This is how it will work. Before I have a live auction of it, we will have a "silent" auction posted on my website. I will keep the current bid on the front page of my site and then anyone can send me emails or texts if they would like to bid higher. I will then take the highest bid as the opening bid of the live auction. I think this will allow everyone to bid on it that wants to and can drive the price up as high as possible.

I don't know which convention. I will check with DC to make sure I am still coordinating all of the charity stuff and if so we can do it there. If not, then we- can do it at Magfest.

mushiva2000
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by mushiva2000 »

I wonder how this is going. I would bit if it is acceptable from Japan.

mushiva2000
Rank 1 - Big Mario
Rank 1 - Big Mario

Post by mushiva2000 »

mushiva2000 wrote:I wonder how this is going. I would bit if it is acceptable from Japan.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14868&p=81340&hilit=bidding+charity+quilt#p81340

I recently know it. it's already sold and done.

tnitnetny
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by tnitnetny »

The second quilt from last year sold, but the second one from this year has not yet. I haven't put up the options because I haven't looked at all of them yet.