Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Stitch-a-long theme?

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges

Please choose your three preferred ideas for a Stitch-A-Long!

Poll ended at Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:05 am

Legend of Zelda series
12%
Original 150 Pokemon
12%
Indie Games
1%
System specific
2%
Food
2%
Powerups
7%
Baddies
4%
Girl Power
4%
Yoshi
4%
Yoshi eggs
1%
Pokemon eggs
2%
Mario mushrooms
6%
Kirby
4%
Geeky / sci-fi
13%
Symbols / Logos
14%
Skylanders
No votes
Tomb Raider / Lara Croft
No votes
Pokemon (any gen)
6%
Resident Evil
2%
Valkyrie Profile
No votes
MegaMan
No votes
Sonic
3%
Bosses
3%
Co-op games
2%

Total votes: 120

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Re: Stitch-a-long theme?

Post by RMDC »

Eliste wrote:You'll never please everyone, so I'd suggest pick one game, and one pattern (although maybe 2-3 sizes of it) and let the colors picking be the difference. It makes it feel very cool as you see the differences between people's choices. It also limits the scope and overwhelming feeling of "what do I do?" and at least for me it helps me to keep up as I can compare progress to others. Seeing the same image show up, in many different ways, is really the pleasure of a stitch a long for me.
Well, I've actually never done a sampler, so I don't mind trying it. At first I was worried about the pick-your-own nature resulting in a feel of just another monthly challenge, but since this is essentially replacing the monthly challenge (right?), I see it as sort of a compromise. It seems more like a coherent effort than our usual monthly challenges, which generally result in wildly diverse products which aren't necessarily coherent unless you already know they're thematically related. With the band samplers, every person might wind up using completely different games, but for one glorious month the board will be flooded with the same damn thing, and we're all going to be referencing this SAL whenever band samplers come up in the future. :P

On the other hand, what you say in the quoted section above is really what I'm looking forward to seeing: broad diversity from a single pattern. So the coloring book SAL is the one I'm more ardently anticipating. But I still think the band sampler will be fun and is definitely worth doing (for those of us not burned out on samplers - sorry, Eliste!).
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

And so, here we are. We need to figure this out so that we can be ready to start next month. I propose:
m4pl3g1rl wrote:If we didn't want to give up on the sampler idea then we could have a month to get band patterns out, and then vote on them for our top 10 favorites or so, and then stitch it. I'm still excited for a stitch-a-long no matter what.
Let's design the bands this month! Our challenge is minimalist, after all. Can't we do both?
Then next month we can have a 10 band sampler (or less if that's too many) and all stitch the same exact pattern together, for a real stitch-a-long feel. Then we can do the coloring book later.
That's my two cents. :)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

LinkIsMyHomeboy
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by LinkIsMyHomeboy »

I'm on the coloring book bandwagon. I've never done a sampler SAL (band or otherwise) before, but the idea doesn't really appeal to me. I would definitely participate if the coloring book SAL gets chosen, but may or may not if the sampler SAL does. Just my thoughts on this, so take it for what it's worth.

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Right, I can see how divisive this will end up. Putting my foot down with a firm hand now.
I was thinking about this for most of the night, and I came to the same conclusion that starrley did. It should keep everyone (reasonably) happy. It's only the beginning of March - design bands this month and stitch them in April. Then May and June will be the colouring book. Might even add July to that, if needed! That will give me more time to prepare the patterns etc AND the awesome and secret idea I have in mind for the SAL ;)

How does that sound to everyone?
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

starrley
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by starrley »

Agreeing with me? Why, that sounds great! ;) Seriously though, I'm just kidding. :)
What size are we going with for the bands, so that we can get started designing? And do we announce which game we're designing a band for before we design it, or do well all just make bands and vote on them? I was thinking that if we all sign up for games first, they'll all be different (just like we do for the charity quilt.)
"I assure you, Commander, the cards are sufficiently randomized."

:pika Current projects: :pika
Sherlock wallpaper stitch
Quilting
Crocheting

DA

MeiTow
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Post by MeiTow »

I don't mind doing both ideas. I may or may not do the band sampler (depending on how intensive it's going to be) because I want to do the coloring book one and I have other projects I need to get done before the June/July timeframe.

QueenBex
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario
Rank 11 - Balloon Mario

Post by QueenBex »

starrley wrote:
katdun wrote:
starrley wrote:We could have patterns from different games. It would still be a stitch-a-long because we're using the same patterns. Everyone throw out their favorite game, and then the top 3 get patterns.
That sounds fair! I'm up for the coloring book idea.
Yeah, patterns from 3 different games, but no color charts so everyone picks their own colors.
thats got my vote
"much better to have a bottom that naturally flattens out than one that goes every which way when it's sitting on a surface" -RMDC

m4pl3g1rl
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by m4pl3g1rl »

I think that's the best way to have everyone happy. All hail BMH! Way to go SS Mama! ^_^ That's my new nickname for the Lady of the Stitch. ^_^ Ok, I could keep going. I won't. I already sound cheesy enough. I've had a good day so I'm a little goofy. Can't wait for the dimensions to get started.
ImageImageImageImage

Eliste
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by Eliste »

Doing both seems like a good option. Should we get a poll for the game theme for the bands so folks can get making them?

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

starrley wrote:Then next month we can have a 10 band sampler (or less if that's too many) and all stitch the same exact pattern together, for a real stitch-a-long feel.
I think, though, that if we're going to be doing one month's worth of stitching, we should definitely limit the number of bands. Maybe four bands with intermediary borders, five bands if we're just doing rows of sprites with no spacers? Basically a little over a band a week. I worry we might be overreaching otherwise.
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.