Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

NOV/DEC Challenge - Common Enemies

Monthly Video Game Craft Challenges
TigerLily
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Re: NOV/DEC Challenge - Common Enemies

Post by TigerLily »

Ooh! I just realized that one of the Christmas gifts I'm making might work for this!

I'm liking the entries so far. Great idea using that background for the Metroid piece.

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Grumble, Grumble...

PATTERN:
70x98 pixels = 5"x7"

MATERIAL:
Tan Aida (14ct)

COLORS (DMC):
3857 - Dark Rosewood
301 - Medium Mahogany
402 - Very Light Mahogany
919 - Red Copper
963 - Ultra Very Light Dusty Rose
White

total colors: 6

DATE/TIME:
Started stitching: November ?th 2014
Finished stitching: November 15th 2014
??? minutes = ?? hours ?? minutes
(did not log in my time on this one)

STITCHES:

NOTES:
Spoiler
Originally this Grumble, Grumble... project was going to be a Metroid and I actually do have a pattern for that, but it focuses more on Samus so came up with something else using the owner of those words, Goriya.

My immediate thought was to have Goriya chasing after some live food such as the hotdog enemy from Burgertime, but nah, not good enough. Ah, A restaurant! And I knew exactly where to get the background from, River City Ransom.

Next I edited Alex to look like Goriya, placing Goriya's head from Zelda II: The Adventure of Link atop his body and recoloring the body to match, then changing his clothing, arms and legs to those of Goriya.

My first thought with this was to have Goriya eating, mouth wide open like Alex and Ryan eat when they shove a whole plate of food into their mouth's in one huge bite. Funny but didn't quite go with the words. Grumble, grumble... means he's hungry, he hasn't eaten yet.

Now, I just need someone serving him a plate of food. Ah-ha, the skeleton waiter from 8 eyes, perfect! Goriya is a meat eater, at least we know he likes meat from Link's offering to him in The Legend of Zelda, so gotta find some meat. The wallmeat from Castlevania proved the best choice.

Need to replace that flower pot in the background with something else less ordinary. My first choice was a Piranha Plant, kept that in there for several edits but then it hit me that Goriya should have his trophy that he stole in Zelda II.

Now, what about his color? I started out with him being blue, stood out too much from everything else. Once I changed him to orange I kept him that color through much of my editing, but if he's the one that stole the trophy he needs to be a red Goriya for accuracy, also the hungry Goriya from the first Zelda was red too.

I almost was going to start stitching him that color but the orange one still looked better so despite not being the Goriya that was hungry or the one that stole the trophy the orange one I was better able to see his eyes and mouth and it just looked better that way.

I wanted something else in the picture, was too much blank space at the top or middle, however I chose to place the words there was an unused gap, so needed something to add some balance to this piece. Okay, idea, Goriya is going to pay for his food with the riches he's earned from his life of stealing, assuming he's got Rupies too.

Thinking... ah, he's going to dine in style, a nice fancy restaurant. What this needs is a chandelier! While Goriya tend to shy away from light, this particular color is a Plains Goriya so is more accustomed to the outdoors, even in daytime. Anyway, looked through a few games, the ones in Faxanadu were the perfect choice for this scene, fancy yet a little bit rustic.

As is, the stitch is complete, turned out very nice, yet as always I still look at it thinking, can I add more to this? Maybe more would be too cluttered though, keep it simple, to the point, Goriya is hungry and is being served some food, that's it, with a few extra things in there to liven it up a bit.

CrazyCucco11
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by CrazyCucco11 »

That Grumble Grumble is so awesome! :thumbsup: The stalfos waiter is the best!
Time passes, people move, like a rivers' flow, it never ends...
-Sheik

Current Project:
RMDC's Ballad of the Wind Fish

Next Projects:
Hunting for a cool Dr. Who bookmark...

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

Fantastic piece! Not only is it funny, but it's got great composition. It walks the eye quickly through the joke, drawing from one element to the next. It's always fun to read your notes on the design process, too. :nod
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Miss Clawful
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by Miss Clawful »

Reaper and the Reapettes

PATTERN:
70x98 pixels = 5"x7"

MATERIAL:
Black Aida (14ct)

COLORS (DMC):
White
825 - Dark Blue
3761 - Light Sky Blue
799 - Medium Delft Blue
930 - Dark Antique Blue
550 - Very Dark Voilet
919 - Red Copper
814 - Dark Garnet
676 - Light Old Gold
301 - Medium Mahogany
951 - Tawny
415 - Pearl Gray

total colors: 12

DATE/TIME:
Started stitching: November 17th 2014
Finished stitching: November 19th 2014
??? minutes = ?? hours ?? minutes
(did not log in my time on this one)

STITCHES:

NOTES:
Spoiler
The very beginning of the month, the moment I saw the new challenge at Sprite Stitch was common enemies one of my immediate half dozen or so enemies that popped into my head within moments was the Reaper and his Reapettes from Kid Icarus. But what to do with them? Hmmm...

Ah, I got it! The Reaper likes to make a bunch of noise, like really messed up awful singing, summoning his Reapettes to attack Pit. What I had in mind came clearly to my head in an instant, they are going to be a band, Reaper and the Reapettes, Grim Death!

So, I got the Tentacle band from Maniac Mansion that I had been meaning to someday possibly but probably not really ever cross-stitch and erased the Tentacles. Within short time replaced with Reapettes, one on the drums, another wielding the electric guitar, and finally one on keyboard.

I wanted the Reaper to look like he's singing, so got his crazed posed. Need a mike, Kirby's Adventure. Okay, band and singer, ready to rock!

Hmm, they need a unique name, that G.T.O. on the drum will have to be changed to something else more suitable to the Grim Reaper and death. It did not come to me right away to put the two together, my first edits were only of "Death" on the drum, but that alone didn't say a whole lot. Well, okay, it does but not what I wanted it to. That's when the name "Grim Death" hit me, then it was just a matter of making it fit and be legible.

Next, they have to be making some noise. A silent band is no good, they aren't going to get any fans that way. Lightning from Battle of Olympus blasting out of the guitar. Music note from Milon's Secret Castle from the keyboard. And seriously at this moment don't remember where I got that vibration sound wave from for the drum, but on well, it all works.

Trouble though and what held me back for a couple weeks, the Reaper's voice, how best to represent it. I searched the internet for sheet music for his crazy song but no luck. Oh well, I have another project using something like that anyway that I still have to stitch. Ah, these guys are hardcore and what better words to use than those from Q*Bert, "@!#?@!". But that's when I ran into a very severe problem, fitting it.

After much internal debate I had no choice but to drop that idea or sacrifice a nice layout just for some unnecessary but cool quote. So before I could delay this even further I started stitching.

Oh, almost forgot, the title, the font was taken from Faxanadu. I searched through a lot of different font types but liked this one best for this particular piece. As for what to say, originally it was entitled "Mr. Grim and the Reapettes" but since the Reaper in this game actually has the name of Reaper I went with that for accuracy and used Grim along with Death on the side of the big drum for the band's name.

RMDC
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by RMDC »

:clapping: I love it!
Mostly hibernating here. Find me on Twitter @rmdcade.

Delver01
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by Delver01 »

Just finished my entry. This is "Skeleton" from Heroes of Might and Magic 2. It was my favorite game as a kid, and I've been wanting to stitch a sprite from it forever. It was a little more confetti stitching than I would have liked, but I think it turned out really nice.
Skeleton.jpg
Skeleton.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 6676 times
Credit for the sprite goes to Maxim of spriters-resource.
I also can't figure out why all my pics get stuck with a scroll-bar instead of displaying full, when I'm within the 650-500 pxl dimensions.

JemmaJ
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by JemmaJ »

Ooh two months...if only I knew! I have some ideas...I finished the "Zodiac" challenge two days after the closing date. Oh well! I have found the perfect pattern...starting it when I get home! Well, after I have been to the Craft Store to pick up the colours!
Just keep stitching...

Jemma's Stitchery | Stitch Blog: Dreaming In Aida | Instagram & Twitter: @JemmaJH

WIPs:
A Very Merry Christmas Town
Stitching for Charity 2016/17
KLT Charting: Russian Dolls SAL
and many more...

rockinwithrammstein
Rank 8 - Statue Mario
Rank 8 - Statue Mario

Post by rockinwithrammstein »

Aww...too bad I don't get to start my next blanket until after this is done. I am making an Octorok granny square blanket lol
Current Projects:
Joan Elliot Geisha
Mega Peacock (page 3 of 40)
Sophie's Universe

Visit my blog http://vmfwbojtte.blogspot.com :)

ladycass
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by ladycass »

Delver01 wrote:Just finished my entry. This is "Skeleton" from Heroes of Might and Magic 2. It was my favorite game as a kid, and I've been wanting to stitch a sprite from it forever. It was a little more confetti stitching than I would have liked, but I think it turned out really nice.
I love this skeleton ( and Heroes of Might and Magic) Well done!

Makes me sad that due to Christmas Present demands I just can't participate in this one!
That which does not kill me shall regret ever having tried.