Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Final Fantasy Project: Pondering the "Next One"

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
rosey175
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Final Fantasy Project: Pondering the "Next One"

Post by rosey175 »

After some encouragement from a fellow SS deviantart-er, I'm posting the first part to a FF brainfart I had. It was my first attempt at a larger pattern and I tweaked it up, printed it out... and promptly ignored most of it. :D
Spoiler
My goal is to do all of the logos in the main series (1-14, plus X-2 and XIII-2). I'm sure by the time I complete those, we'll be up to XLVIII. :b

Why I chose hardanger fabric, I don't know. The scale isn't quite obvious, but this one is 11" x 14" (26.5cm x 35cm) with lots and lots of white space.
It still isn't framed because I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want 1) Squall's poof to be filled in with clipped velvet stitches, 2) a mat or no mat, 3) to risk washing it with all the reds.

Edit 11/17/12 - FFVII joins the completion pile and gets framed!
Spoiler
Edit 04/29/18 - FFIII finished (finally) and both it and VIII (finally) get framed!
Spoiler
Last edited by rosey175 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

gamerwolff
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario
Rank 9 - Hammer Mario

Re: Final Fantasy Project

Post by gamerwolff »

oooooooooooohhhh! can you post the patterns the way you do them as you go? I'm a huge FF fan and would like to do these also. Thanks. any help will be appreciated! :zelda
ImageImageImageImageImage

Current Projects:
Gifts
CP Quilt Squares

IzzyXIII
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by IzzyXIII »

Yay, you posted it! (I'm IzzyXIII on DeviantART)

In regards to finishing it,
1. the clipped velvet stitches (i reckon) would add a nice finishing touch to it, a genius idea to think of!
2. mat - not sure, see what others say.
3. Washing it should be fine. I recently washed a piece with quite a few reds in it, using cold tap water, and it turned out great :D

rosey175
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by rosey175 »

gamerwolff wrote:oooooooooooohhhh! can you post the patterns the way you do them as you go? I'm a huge FF fan and would like to do these also. Thanks. any help will be appreciated! :zelda
I could post the pattern that I made... and ignored? XD I didn't make any annotations to my printed-out copy, and some pages I didn't even print out and just stitched straight from the computer. If one could wing a pattern, this was about as close as one could get to doing just that! The backstitching was achieved by draping bits of floss in appropriate-looking areas and running across the living room and scrutinizing. The only thing I attempted to chart (on graph paper) was Rinoa's hand... and I still pretty much ignored it and went with something else. I'm trying to be better at the next one so I can stitch without feeling quite so much like I'm just making things up as I go! I know I'll still wind up changing things because I'm horrible at knowing how a pattern will translate to actual stitching.

tl;dr: I have no idea what all I changed but I can post the original pattern if you still want it. XD;

Craftymaster90 wrote:Yay, you posted it!
:D!

The clipped velvet stitches look (and feel) awesome. I had practiced them in a corner but couldn't decide if they went with the rest of the piece. I guess it could make Squall even more fondle-able (he's my favorite male in all FF-dom). :banana

IzzyXIII
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario
Rank 6 - Tanooki Mario

Post by IzzyXIII »

rosey175 wrote: I guess it could make Squall even more fondle-able
Im sorry, I couldn't help but giggle at this :grin:

Anyway! Looking forward to seeing more from you, and keep us updated on any changes to this :D

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

Yay, logos! I remember seeing this on your blog a while ago (unfinished though) - tried to leave a comment but my computer had pms or something that day and it wouldn't do it! Well done on finishing it, it looks lovely! :D
I'm into FFXIV right now (despite its many flaws!) and I love its logo. I always wanted to do a full set but I never have the time for it these days! Would love to see someone do it, though :P
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

jadely
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by jadely »

What a great piece! I am jealous at your ability to just "wing it" while cross stitching!

Here's my two cents-- I like framed pieces, but only if done it an appropriate color :) Poor matting color can, IMO, ruin a piece.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

Current Projects
Star Wars Alphabet book

rosey175
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario
Rank 4 - Raccoon Mario

Post by rosey175 »

blackmageheart wrote:Yay, logos! I remember seeing this on your blog a while ago (unfinished though) - tried to leave a comment but my computer had pms or something that day and it wouldn't do it!
It might've been my site! I'm still pretty new to blogger (having drifted over from LJ) so I haven't got all the settings figured out. I hate the comment settings so the first thing I did was hunt up a script that allows me to reply directly (like wordpress apparently does by default, rar!). FFXIV has a complicated logo with lots of stabby things. I foresee lots of backstitching in that one! :moog
jadely wrote:What a great piece! I am jealous at your ability to just "wing it" while cross stitching!
Thank you~ Shall I not mention how many things I picked out and redid? ;b I figured out fairly quick that half stitching was really going to help me out, haha.

As for the matting, yes, a poor job can really mess things up. I was thinking a simple black (if I can find one, metal) frame but the matting still bothers me. Ah, decisions!

blackmageheart
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by blackmageheart »

jadely wrote:Here's my two cents-- I like framed pieces, but only if done it an appropriate color :) Poor matting color can, IMO, ruin a piece.
Completely agree. If you do mat it, choose a colour that is in the stitching. I don't think a white mat would look right. A black mat would seem like the more obvious choice, but don't overlook the other colours. Get some coloured card stock (the stuff in kids craft sets is best) in similar colours and try them out. Personally, I'd consider the darker red shade in the stitching (the colour around Rinoa's head / elbow area) as a mat with a non-shiny black frame! :D
rosey175 wrote: FFXIV has a complicated logo with lots of stabby things. I foresee lots of backstitching in that one!
FFXIV is a complicated game with lots of stabby things, too :D

EDIT: I meant to say use the card stock to try out the colours, rather than make the mat from it...but I'll be honest and say I've used it for the mat many times! :D
RMDC wrote:...I've been stitching at an estimated rate of almost a full BMH per day...

misscarlotta
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by misscarlotta »

Very sharp!