Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Super Mario World Map WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
Xanatos
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: Super Mario World Map WIP

Post by Xanatos »

Hi guys,

So I'm new to cross stitch and as I'm rather crazy I figured I would start with this.

As there is so much blue I'm doing a skein of it first.
Spoiler
Current WIP: Super Mario World - Main Map (2/20 pages)

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Looking good!
What are you using to mark your aida???
Good luck!!!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

Xanatos
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Xanatos »

A frixxon pen - the markings disappear with heat. I use them all the time with quilting and dressmaking as they save a whole heap of time compared to tacking stitches.

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

I'm finishing up a different project, but I came back to this thread to print out the maps for this one! :thumbsup:

Thanks to Funky Monkey for the new charts, with the special maps! I was going to try to chart it on my own, but you've done the homework for me! :clapping:

I'll be doing the world map on 25 ct, over one. :cool: My birthday is in two weeks, so I'll be ordering a new cross bar, for my floor frame, just to be able to support the size of the project. :secret

aimee
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by aimee »

Xanatos wrote:A frixxon pen - the markings disappear with heat. I use them all the time with quilting and dressmaking as they save a whole heap of time compared to tacking stitches.
:shock:

I've never heard of this! I'm not getting anything when I google for it though, is that the brand name? Where do you get it? Do they completely come out with heat or is there still some offcoloring?

samarin
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario
Rank 7 - Kuribo Mario

Post by samarin »

aimee wrote:
Xanatos wrote:A frixxon pen - the markings disappear with heat. I use them all the time with quilting and dressmaking as they save a whole heap of time compared to tacking stitches.

I've never heard of this! I'm not getting anything when I google for it though, is that the brand name? Where do you get it? Do they completely come out with heat or is there still some offcoloring?
i use water soluble marker for marking mine - they come in a ton of colors so you can find something with contrast on different colors of cloth. they are about 10$ each (canadian) and you can find them in the sewing sections (usually) at michaels.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchedPixels
WIPs
Pokemon All Gens - 40/270 pages (14.8%)
Quilt Squares 1/48 done, square 2 - 70%
Elizabeth (sepia) - 50%
Playing
tomb raider and fallout new vegas

yafashelli
Rank 5 - Frog Mario
Rank 5 - Frog Mario

Post by yafashelli »

I use a Clover "Water Erasable Marker", and it's great! :) The marks stay on, until they get wet (or fade verrrrrry slowly, over time), and then you'd never know that there was anything there.

I'm intrigued about the Frixxon pen, as well. It would be nice not to have to regrid on a very large project. :1up

Firehawke
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario
Rank 12 - Yoshi Mario

Post by Firehawke »

Great info!!! thanks!
"May we maintain the courage to defy the consensus. May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong." - President Thomas S. Monson

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Attached are the stitch/skein counts for the main map, title screen, and 6 "mini" maps I posted earlier. You'll have to add them up if you plan on ordering thread for multiple maps.

Hopefully this will help you plan!

(main map = 26+ skeins of 3843 :shock: glad i plan to dye my fabric!)
Attachments
Stitch count.pdf
(121.26 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

Xanatos
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by Xanatos »

aimee wrote:

It's actually Frixion - my bad. They are pens made by Pilot which are erasable by friction. But crafters being the clever people they are also discovered you can use them for embroidery and pattern markings and the ink goes away when you iron it (either dry or steam). They come in a heap of colours although I've only tested black but have had no problem with any lingering marks or discoloration.