Sorry for the downtime, welcome back!!

Super Mario World Map WIP

Video game craft projects made with thread and needles...
lightningbolt658
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Re: Super Mario World Map WIP

Post by lightningbolt658 »

I want to start this soon but question for those working on it.

What count aida are you using and what size did you get?

And everybody's looks great by the way!
WIP:
Epic Pokémon Generation I - Completed 18/30 pages
Tinkerbell - On Page 1/4

Future Projects:
Super Mario World Map
Set of 6 Super Mario World Mini-Maps
30+ cross stitch kits that I own

Recently Completed:
Puppy Love

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

stitchandpaddle wrote:Those look great! No, we haven't forgotten or abandoned it.:) I'm almost finished my star road map- maybe another week will see it finished- and then I'll move on to Yoshi's Island. In the meantime, when my eyes need a break from 28 ct fabric, I'm working on Starry Night and the Stained Glass Lord of the Rings series.
Thank you! I can't wait to see star road. I don't blame you for bouncing around to other projects. I'm guilty too :P
lightningbolt658 wrote:I want to start this soon but question for those working on it.

I'm using 22 ct for all of the maps. The small ones will come out to about 10.5" by 8", the main map will be 24" by 23.5" and the title screen will be 12" by 9".
WIPs:
Super Mario World Map: 25ish %?
Super Mario Mini Maps: Yoshi= restart. . .oy

stitchandpaddle
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by stitchandpaddle »

lightningbolt658 wrote:I want to start this soon but question for those working on it.

I'm using 28 count for all. The small maps (Vanilla Dome, etc.) end up being 6"X8" and the main map will be 18.2"X18.5". I would not recommend using such a high count- it's a pain in the butt to see. I'd have preferred using 22-ct, but it wasn't available to me when I started this and I wanted all of my maps to be the same size.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

After stitching on various high counts, I decided to go with my favorite, 18 ct, even though they will end up a bit bigger (12.5" x 9.3"). The unfortunate part is I will probably have to order custom frames for them, or frame them in 11" x 14" frames with a mat. I actually think I will do that! A light yellow mat maybe to look like the screen shots. The full map will be 28.4" x 28.8", so I got a yard of 18 ct white aida on Ebay that I plan to dye.

funkymonkey
Rank 10 - Cape Mario
Rank 10 - Cape Mario

Post by funkymonkey »

Got started on my Special map today :)
smw-special01.jpg
smw-special01.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

Looking good funkymonkey! We have several shades of light yellow at hobby lobby where i work, I can look at them thursday to see which one is the closest match to the screen color.
WIPs:

kellysouthpaw
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by kellysouthpaw »

I will have to post a WIP picture later of my Special Map. I have the whole "road" done, and am currently working on the "SPECIAL" text. I haven't even started on the main map because I can't figure out what kind of scroll frame I'll need :( I'm planning on doing it on 20 ct aida and it will be upwards of 26" x 26". The highest scroll frame I could find was like 18". And I've never used a scroll frame before so I'm not even sure that if I found the right size that I'd be able to figure out how to get the fabric on there :confused:

I also wanted to add that everyone's WIP pictures look great!! :clapping:
Current Projects
Super Mario World Mini-Map: SPECIAL (50%)
Game of Mushroom Kingdoms (5%)

Future Projects
Super Mario World Map
SMW Mini-Maps: Yoshi Map, Vanilla Dome, Forest of Illusion, Bowser Map, Star Road

Finished
Epic Mario Through The Ages

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

kellysouthpaw wrote:I will have to post a WIP picture later of my Special Map. I have the whole "road" done, and am currently working on the "SPECIAL" text. I haven't even started on the main map because I can't figure out what kind of scroll frame I'll need :( I'm planning on doing it on 20 ct aida and it will be upwards of 26" x 26". The highest scroll frame I could find was like 18". And I've never used a scroll frame before so I'm not even sure that if I found the right size that I'd be able to figure out how to get the fabric on there :confused:

I also wanted to add that everyone's WIP pictures look great!! :clapping:
When looking for a scroll frame, the size you need is going to be the width of your working area plus the amount of edge cloth on either side. you will want to have more edge cloth on the sides that you are going to put in the dowels (for something this size then the top and bottom of the piece), no less than 3" or else the cloth is going to keep falling out when you are working the top and bottom edges. On the sides you can go as little as an inch, but do more so whomever is lacing it will have an easier time doing so.

so basically, for your 26" x 26" you are looking at a scroll frame no shorter than 28 to 30". Most stores do not carry sizes larger than 20 to 24". Ones you find online in the 30" range are going for anywhere between $30 to $50 . . which if you have basic tools kinda feels like a ripoff. . .which is why I made my own. If you want to figure out the logistics I don't mind making you a scroll frame if you pay for the hardware and shipping.

edit: when shopping for a scroll frame in a store, make sure you read the package to see if the size on the tag is the total length of the dowels or the working area. usually they sell them by total size and the actual max cloth size it will hold will be 2 to 4" smaller since almost all dowels leave a portion of the wood uncut to make it easier to slide the cloth between the pieces. (rather than fighting with 2 halves of uncooperative wood :P )
edit edit: out of curiosity I used your location and shipping from my area to yours is $7 (i'll spend the extra dollar fifty since i would rather drop it off in person at the post office rather than leaving it on the front porch and risking it not being picked up) and depending on if you want poplar or oak the materials are no more than $12 (oak being the pricier option and really has no functional advantage.)
WIPs:

kellysouthpaw
Rank 2 - Fire Mario
Rank 2 - Fire Mario

Post by kellysouthpaw »

Truut I would appreciate so much if you would do that for me!! I will pay for the materials and shipping and even throw in some for your time! I can do paypal if that works for you ! :) thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Current Projects
Super Mario World Mini-Map: SPECIAL (50%)
Game of Mushroom Kingdoms (5%)

Future Projects
Super Mario World Map
SMW Mini-Maps: Yoshi Map, Vanilla Dome, Forest of Illusion, Bowser Map, Star Road

Finished
Epic Mario Through The Ages

Truut
Rank 3 - Star Mario
Rank 3 - Star Mario

Post by Truut »

kellysouthpaw wrote:Truut I would appreciate so much if you would do that for me!! I will pay for the materials and shipping and even throw in some for your time! I can do paypal if that works for you ! :) thank you, thank you, thank you!!
awww you don't have to include any extra. i have too much fun making stuff in my spare time :P
im going to have to call paypal on monday to try to reset my password. apparantly the email i use already has an account and i can't reset my password because the card that is linked to that account is a card i haven't had just over a year. . .oops.
other than that, ill go ahead and throw the frame together for you! (30" just to be on the safe side)
WIPs: